Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fan help

Question Re: fan help

i checked the capacitiors last time i had it open yesterday. theyre fina perfectly cylindrical and the computer itself is only 5 years old, not even that. ok thats fine then. does this seem like a too good to be true kinda thing?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16837102065
    and will microsoft let you register an oem copy? if so i think i might be able to build my computer in less than 2 months. minus shipping and tax do you believe its possible to build a good computer for just under $770? has anyone overclocked and intel p4 520J 2.8ghz clock speed 800mhz fsb? if so what if you know did the find the max speed while retaining stability? i found one new for just a little bit more than $100

Default Re: fan help

Here's a thread that will get you a bare bones that overclocks extremly well (around $170 for cpu & mobo)

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=2790

If i were you, i'd give up on the wireless mouse. They're not all there cracked up to be. Batteries cost a fortune. They have a slight delay that slightly affects any games played.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Overclocked

Cana, seems like its been a while since you last used a Wireless mouse (or you used an old one). Ive got one, and let me tell you, technology has advanced, and my Logitech Cordless Click! Plus Optical got pratically no delay and does not suck batteries at all. I use 2 rechargeables NiMH AA batteries in it and I recharges them not even each month. Note tho that I remove the batteries each time I dont use it, and I only use it in games or apps that require precision.

I dont recommend you to try to build a wireless mouse, first of all you would need a wireless transmettor and a wireless receiver that will fit your transmettor. Second you will need an USB wireless receiver, which pratically kills your project. You cant use Infrared for a wireless mouse, unless you wanna be facing a lil optical eye each time you wanna play a game just like when zapping your TV. Third you would need drivers for that. Fourth you will need to ''play'' into your mouse circuitry so taht you can hook up your wireless transmettor, which will be kinda dangerous for your mouse. Fifth you will need a battery location for your wireless mouse ^^; And trust me, you can't place 2 AA batteries in any mouse.

Basically the whole process would cost you more than a wireless mouse, lots of plastic, LOTS of time, and youd be better buying one.

Il get you back on that fan thing, I must go right now ^_^;

Currently, Windows XP 64-Bit, isn't really worth the trouble it can give you.

As for hardware, it's possible to build a decent PC on a variety of budgets, I'm guessing you're from USA since you linked to new egg.

Here is a rough design for a PC that should be decent enough (Beware, it's an AMD system, not an Intel one, but if requested, I can design an Intel one for you):

Motherboard
    Asus A8N-VM CSM $78.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131570

CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ $147.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103531

RAM
    Corsair ValueSelect 1GB (2x 512MB) $81.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145440

HDD
    Seagate 80GB 7200.9 (SATA) $48.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148107

Case/PSU
    Antec NSK3300 Black/Silver $85.99 (Includes a 300W PSU, enough to get you going)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129016

DVD Burner
    Pioneer 111D (Black) $35.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129001

Operating System
    Windows XP Home w/ SP2 (OEM) $87.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16837102059

Total Cost $567.93 (Doesn't include P&P)

That should get you up and running. And if you're wondering why there isn't a graphics card there, it's because there is a built in one on the motherboard, sure it's not top of the line, but it will get you up and running until you need a better one.

Hope that helps.

i know about the decent pc thing and the 64bit is good for me they have it cheap but since its an oem copy could i still register it with microsoft hers my buildup so far minus tax and shipping ocming in just under $770

Intel Pentium 4 520J 2.8GHz 800MHz 1MB Socket 775 CPU $91.50
    COOLER MASTER CB5-NPFSA-02-GP 92mm Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail $24.99
    Intel BOXD945GNTLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945G ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $118.99
    OCZ EL Dual Channel 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Gold Memory (2 x 512MB) $79.99
    ULTRA PRODUCTS Aluminum Mid Tower Case $94.58
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 7200rpm 16MB cache SATA-300 RoHS OEM Hard Drive $84.99
    Coolmax 400Watt ATX Power Supply with 120mm Fan $24.99
    NEC ND3550A 16x8x16x DVD+RW, 16x6x16x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 6x DVD-R DL, 48x32x48x CD-RW, Black, Dual Layer, Retail Box DVD Burner with Software $29.99
    Adesso RF Wireless Key board Optical Mouse Combo $21.99
    1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive (Black) $7.95
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition Single Pack - OEM $134.95
    Sunbeam SP-SI 20-in-1 Super Panel, Silver - Retail $25.99
    2 SUNON KD1212PTB1-6A 120mm 2 Ball Case Cooling Fan - OEM $17.98
    PC Case Exhaust Fan/Video Card Cooler Fan $8.99

all for $767.87+tax+shipping

If you really must have Windows 64-bit. Make sure the components you are getting have drivers for Windows 64-bit. There is a difference. I recommend you talk to someone to help you.

EDIT:

Note: I'm not trying to say you should get Windows 64-bit, I'm just giving a word of caution. I've seen a few setups where parts were incompatible and the user had to buy a normal version of windows.

ok then ill go 32-bit but by the time i have all the money the 64bit drivers will prolly be out already or should i start buying the pieces now and keep on until i have a computer or should i save money on shipping and just make one large order? does anyone know of a link to a good guide on how to build a plexi case cause that could save me nearly $100 that and since its a oem copy of it will microsoft let me register it so i can get updates? sorry if i already asked

OEM means that you just bought it with parts to build a system. Microsoft will allow you to register your copy of Windows XP OEM to allow you to get updates. I'd recommend waiting until you can buy the entire system in one large order, because then there is the possibility of getting better parts for the same or similar price. As for the plexi case, I'll leave that to case modders, as I don't know of any guides, but I do know the 'theory' behind it.

One last thing, please consider the system I 'designed' as it has a few more advantages over the Intel system. The CPU clock may be slower, but the performance is a lot different compared to the Intel system. If you have AIM or MSN, say so and I'll talk to you directly.

Overclocked

OEM only means you get the Windows disk and a CDKey sticker that you can stick on your case. Like my video card which is an OEM, it only came with the video card in a static-proof bag and the driver disk.

I dont recommend at all the 64-bit version, as it does not have all the drivers released yet, and probly wont be out for your new hardware when you will get your comp.

I dont recommend Vista either since its only a beta version and you need ''Vista-ready'' parts so that Vista recognise your comp.

Just stick with Windows XP Profesionnal, its way better than 64bit and Vista, no headache for drivers and troubles.

And unless youve got all the tools and plexi for your case (or have the cash to buy the plexi) and the time to build it, Id recommend you to buy a pre-made Plexi case. Drilling all the holes and cutting the right measurements of plastics can be really handy, and we dont talk about the price of all the equipment you will want on your case (such as buttons which are essential, LEDs for power and HDD, USB ports and headphone/micro jacks). Personally youd be better with a pre-made plexi case, seems like youre kinda young and getting such a case could be painful if you want to build it. Especially, Plexi is hard to deal with, since if you cut the parts too fast the plexi will heat up and ''melt'' which will result in scrap edges. And trust me, I scraped the edges of my acrylic window when I made my Stroboscope at school, it doesnt take much to melt.

yes crenn i do have aim its irideharobikes99 if you can cause my firend knows the hardware stuff and im just beginning to skim the details of the complete and total file system i probally wont get 64 bit then but rather an intel processor that will support 64bit so if in the future i find the need i can get 64bit and that processor is no longer in stock where i found it at so i got to find another one probally a 2mb l2 cache 3.0ghz 800mhz fsb from new egg and if plexi does melt that easily then neverming but what about lexan thats basically bulletproof