Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV entertainment center

Default Re: TV entertainment center

I probably wouldn't back the center holdand would mount the TV directly to studs in the wall. And enjoy, I love goingto IKEA there is so much awesome stuff there. Recently got a new bed from there with big storage draws under it.

Custom Title Honors

For not mounting the tv to the back, do you think it will just be too much weight and top heavy? or another reason?

Thanks, i have wanted to go for a while, the drive there/back easily put me off though lol. I wouldn't mind a desk from them either but that is also kinda pricey once you get all the necessary parts.

Outlaw

**update**

Apparently I wasn't too proud of the old one. lol. I couldn't find any good pictures of it. I found these 2 partials. I do think it was a pretty good one considering the lack of skills my friend and I had at the time. It never did get finished, but it did have an afterlife of beerpong table from the top of it and shelving for my dads pantry in the basement, lol

Looking left

Right tower (child removed)

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

I'll chime in my .02.

If you're really motivated to build and it sounds fun and rewarding, then it would be worth it. If all you want is a nice built in media center, then it's probably worth it to just spend the money, even if it's twice as much as doing it yourself.

There's this really great video on the PBS website about making pre-built bookshelves look like a custom built-in. I'm having a hard time finding it now. For now, you can read this. It might be the perfect in between for you. http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot....ok-like_7.html

Like Stonerboy said, a local shop will be much nicer the better your plans on. Make sure you learn the vocabulary before you go in asking questions. Bring a few different ideas for plans and photos of the space and accurate measurements so they have a lot to go off of. Then, have what you think are decent plans, but ask for advice on what to change, what would be easier or how they would do things. You'll show some humility which gains you points, flatter them for valuing their opinion, learn more, and end up with a better end result, which is a win/win.

Good luck!

Custom Title Honors

Thanks for your .02, it all helps!

I think it would be worth it for the reasons you said, motivated to have built it myself. You don't see too much of that any more. I do want it to be nice, but don't want to pay the ridiculous price tag for particle board. I can get that from several local box stores cheap. If a cabinet maker can make it using the particle board for a reasonable price, I'm ok with that. Nothing wrong with supporting a local business IMO. I don't have a prob paying a little extra for local businesses.

I will have to try finding the video. The link did help and I will have to keep looking to see what others are doing too.

As for the drawing, you don't think my pics above will work? lol jk

I think I have some drafting paper around somewhere to make a detailed drawing. I know it won't be perfect, but that is why they are the pro's. I have no problem taking advice and being shown/told how or why something won't work. It's how we learn.

In the end, if I can build it, awesome, if someone else can do it better locally, great. If they can do it and I can still add my addtions, even better.

Thanks!
    Outlaw

*update*
    For the "not mounting the tv to the entertainment center"

My wanting to do this is just in case we dont' have a wall it will mount to but still want the swivel/tilt not offered by a standard stand. Worst case, we will just leave the stand on it.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

lol @ "child removed" and the giant black mspaint blob.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    For not mounting the tv to the back, do you think it will just be too much weight and top heavy? or another reason?

Thanks, i have wanted to go for a while, the drive there/back easily put me off though lol. I wouldn't mind a desk from them either but that is also kinda pricey once you get all the necessary parts.

Outlaw

**update**

Apparently I wasn't too proud of the old one. lol. I couldn't find any good pictures of it. I found these 2 partials. I do think it was a pretty good one considering the lack of skills my friend and I had at the time. It never did get finished, but it did have an afterlife of beerpong table from the top of it and shelving for my dads pantry in the basement, lol

Looking left

Right tower (child removed)
    Now a day's entertainment is everything and putting a TV on wall or putting it on a table doesn't matter. I am great lover of watching TV and I use to watch TV shows at least 3 to 4 hours daily as entertainment helps me to be fresh and active.
    Read the site rules regarding links in signatures.