Thread: Not All Memory is Usable

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Not All Memory is Usable

I have just built a new computer and I installed 8 gigabytes of memory into it, using the 64-buit version of Windows 7, but only 7.19 gigabytes of those 8 gigabytes are usable. How can I resolve that issue, so that the full 8 gigabytes of memory are usable?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Not All Memory is Usable

What motherboard are you using? Also does it have onboard video?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    What motherboard are you using? Also does it have onboard video?
    I am using an ASUS AMD FM2 motherboard, with an AMD Richland APU, but I do not have a dedicated graphics card, since the user of the computer, my father, will not need it, since he shall be using the computer for only word processing, internet browsing, and his tax preparation software, but not playing any movies or video games. Is some of the memory being used for graphics processing?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    Is some of the memory being used for graphics processing?
    Most likely that is the case. Most BIOS let you specify just how much RAM is being dedicated to the GPU, but with the applications that are listed, 7GB should be plenty.

I think memory is using for graphic processing, as you said. An integrated graphics processing unit doesn't use its own RAM; it utilizes the system's memory instead.