Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a modding contest!!!

Default Re: Starting a modding contest!!!

Any input on a grading scale? I think what I posted is a good start, but it's not done yet. Anybody have any other ideas?

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

I dunno - but we need to set aside at least 3 people to be judges for these cases. The judges can't be in the running for the competition, that would bias their opinions. I say we come up with a 100 point system, just like grades in a school. Hehe, maybe we can make one of those damned four point rubrics.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Life is like an analogy...

i suppose i could volunteer if you guys feel more judges are needed. i think i have a fairly good sense of what is awesome and what isnt. i would just make a request that if you want something to be noticed, include pictures to highlight it.

as for points systems... if we go with 100 points, we should probably try to have as many categories as possible and have them at 10 point each. maybe a few exceptions, like effort involved... that should be weighted more heavily.

ill just list some things and then we'll see what happens:

-labour- 20 pts: how much work was put in (either from seeing the worklog or by going on description and evidence of detail)

-paint/finishing- 10 pts: good paint, polishing, sanding, etc

-lighting- 10 pts: if there is any, does it fit in with the case, and how well

-coordination/continuity- 10 pts: if the case is themed, a continuity check will see how well everything sticks to it, and if it is not themed coordination will check to see if everythign just looks like it fits

-originality- 10 pts: of course we're always looking for something new and cool

-effect- 10 pts: the overall impression given by the mod, such as how well it represents a theme

-cooling- 10 pts: amount of work put into the cooling (lower points for slapping on stock cooling and minimal thought to air/water flow, higher points for better performance and engineering)

-organization- 10 pts: did the mod go well and was everything done on time for submission and done effectively

-functionality- 5 pts: smaller points here because some cases will not be intended for a lot of use, points awarded based on how well it "should" work

-writing- 5 pts: seeming as there was a 200 word write up, points should be awarded for how well this is done (again, not a huge part because not everyone speaks perfect english)

thats my two cents... or 100 points... worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Thats a great idea slug toy. I'm for your system.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

When was the finishing date agian?

If I finish my mod before/on that day then I'll submit, but don't expect it.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Sounds good to me, but I still have one problem.

I brought up this problem earlier, and that is having the components inside the case. I don't have enough money (and still won't by Aug. 15) to buy the parts for my case. I suppose I could add cooling and lighting, but the cooling couldn't be graded on it's effectiveness if it's not cooling anything. The lighting wouldn't really be a problem, I could light what would be lighted without have the internals of a computer. But functionallity? Nope, couldn't be graded. Therefor, the highest grade I could get would be an 85, and that would be a perfect score for my case. And unless everyone is a VERY tough grader, there would be no point in me entering.

If that is a problem, I also volunteer to be a judge.
    Actually, I just volunteer to judge. I can enter in another one, because these competitions could be fun and I see this continuing.

But this is something to think about for the future.

What you could do is "Handicapped" scores, like people with no actual computer don't get graded on that, so 85 is a perfect score out of 85 and not out of 100.

That's how it would have to be for mine, too. The components probably won't go in until long after It's finished, or until I actually get them (If I get new ones)

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Life is like an analogy...

I brought up this problem earlier, and that is having the components inside the case.
    personally, i wouldnt be concerned. this is a case mod competition.... the case has to work well, not the insides. just hook it up to a battery to run the lighting if you have to. all i would need is to see the case and any accessories (water blocks and stuff like that, any custom pieces that hook up to hardware, and maybe a brief description of what they would do, and a diagram of the cooling systems). basically, dont worry about hardware unless you plan on having it as an integral part of the mod.

What you could do is "Handicapped" scores
    it is a possibility, but it SHOULDNT have to happen.... for the reasons i just mentioned.

well, on another note... looks like my points system is fairly good. glad to hear it, and it also sounds like i shouldnt be too surprised if i end up being a judge.... i guess well see in a while.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

maximan1

Slug is a judge. The deadline is August 15. No insides are needed. No handicapped score. Insides will not be rated, but may be noticed. Slug Toy HURRY UP with that system. Set it all up.

it is a possibility, but it SHOULDNT have to happen.... for the reasons i just mentioned.
    I'm saying that not everybody has enough components to put into a case to make it run as a PC. now, everybody should have a backup PSU (If you don't no offence, but you're retarded...), But aside from that, I doubt we'll have cooling systems for computers we don't have and the like.

EDIT: I still think that handicapped scores should apply. Not for everything, but for certain categories, like how well it cools and things having to do with actaul working components.

I will admit, however, that handicaps on the categories that the person didn't touch (aside from internals), such as paint, metalwork, or whatever, should not get handicapped.