Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project - Swat - box

Fresh Paint

Default Project - Swat - box

Ive decided im going to make a start on my project i should be going out today and buying a few provisions. I think for the theme im going to go for like a swat thing by this i mean special weapons and tactics/armed response or what ever you want to call it lol i have a few ideas regarding peripherals (sp), basically it should look like a mobile command unit, im going to include things like a webcam and possibly a skype phone but all within the machine. im also thinking of using diamond or checker plate to line various parts. all the components will be micro atx and what not but ive not decided on which ones as of yet, im going to construct a box to go within the toolbox out of plexiglass to mount all the components as it will be easier to work with as a frame, the monitor will be a 8 or 9 inch possibly bigger touchscreen as ive managed to find some that wont make my trousers fall down when the cash is ripped from my pockets, this will be mounted in the lid along with the fan controller and webcam along with a few other bits and bobs.

for the colour i think ill be going with a stealthy matt black.

let me know what you think of my ideas constructive critisism is always welcome as is help which no doubt ill be needing alot of

i will post a picture of the toolbox later on today and possibly tonight you may see some pictures of the first cuts.

god typing with an on screen kb is hard work the good news is my g15 should be with me thursday which is good as ive got alot of catching up to do on bf2.
    Well this is the t-box ill be working with....

The drawers on the front will be coming out i thought about using them but then decided against it the front will eventually be covered by alu checker plate which will conceal the cd drive and other various parts i decide to slap in there.

as you can see the lid should just be deep enough to hold a skinny monitor and other parts after some modifications i just need to find a nice tidy route for the leads but all in good time...

the clasp for the padlock will be cut off and replaced with a propper barrel lock after all this machine will contain important mission information and we cant any old so and so peeking now can we ohhh nooo .
    To make the system accessible ill be cutting out the back of the box and also the inner part of the top when i have all the measurements worked out ill replace the inner top of the tray with checker plate.
    The components will be housed in plexiglass my main reason for this choice is that its aesthetically pleasing more than anything else also easier to work with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okie Dokie so ive made a start.

Went out and bought myself a dremel the only problem is that they didnt have any accesories for it so im gonna have to wait a day or two for them to get some in doh.
    I did get something done though i removed the drawers....

as you can see theres plenty of room in there.

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Project - Swat - box

Ok so heres the dremel i bought.

Its not the one i originally intended on buying but it dose the job nicely. I had a play around with it and used one of the standard cutting disks on one of the drawers i removed to see how well it cuts and it went through like butter so as soon as i get some decent cutting disks i can make a start.

I also Have this...

Its too deep to go in the lid so ill find another place to put it but it will tie in nicely i think.

Thats all for now.

Cheers, Olly

Fresh Paint

Just a small update.

I started cutting out the back today and just have a couple of spot welds to grind out then the back panel should be off so i can start tidying up the edges with the file, im not to bothered about getting it perfect as it should be covered with checker plate but i want to get it as good as i can. i also started removing the rails for the draw sliders but cant get to the back of them until i have the back panel off. I also slapped on a few coats of nitromorse so that should lift all the paint off nicely when its all cut up, filed and has had the paint stripped off it i can then get to work on the plexi to mount the components and also start cutting the checker plate.

I will edit this post with some pictures when i get them.

G15 should be arriving today so i wont have to use this damn slow and annoying on screen keyboard

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

this shoud end up preaty nice....

i'm watching

LOUD AND PROUD !

Fresh Paint

Thanks GT40 Its my first mod so dont expect to much but im gonna do the best i can, no pics as yet as i had to apply another coat of nitromorse to lift the paint off a little easier but as soon as i start stripping it ill get some pictures. Also ive decided not to go with checkerplate and to just use plexi to wrap it in, i think it will look better if i do it all smooth and matt black.

Got my new keyboard too which is a relief cause on screen keyboards are pooo.

Sweeet.

Cheers, Olly

sounds cool. I'll be watching this one. What are you planning for the lighting? or just going dark on this?

Fresh Paint

Hey Aero, Im not sure yet i think it would look good all dark but it all depends on where i locate my fans i was thinking of having two blue 60mm (maybe bigger) fans on the sides and possibly 1 or two on the back, im not worried about lighting up the inside of the case yet as i wont be buying any special components until its finished, then ill upgrade and dress up the inside of the case.

Also aswell as the monitor in the lid im thinking of having one of these alpha cool lcds to display system info.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/110403/rb/22544516612

And this is the fan controller ill be going with as its thin enough to fit in the lid along with the monitor also.

As this is my first mod and my knowledge of building computers isnt amazing im not up on the other kinds of lighting. Ive not completely finished planning everything yet so youll have to watch this space .

Right Youll have to excuse the crude plan but i have no other programs to do this with lol.

This is basically what i want to achieve with the lid.

Also would it be possible to use one of these as my power switch?

Quote Originally Posted by sollyturbine View Post

Also would it be possible to use one of these as my power switch?
    no, PC switches only have current running through while they are being pushed, with that switch, it will have current running through whilever its down, so your PC will switch on, then off again...

Fresh Paint

Hmm thanks , Any ideas for any other uses for that kind of switch?.

Thanks, Olly

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

you could use it to turn on your lights (LEDs, CCFL etc)

there is a way to use them for a power switch(to start the mobo), but you have to a relay, and some other bits, the guys around here should know more about this

LOUD AND PROUD !