Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: PC-Playstation 2 Hybrid

Default Re: PC-Playstation 2 Hybrid

very gnarly heatsinks!

Super Secret Agent

Well after a bit of a break from the modding the modding, things are starting to move again.

Just got delivery of 2 maxim1668 thermal sensors. Boy these things are small! Hard to believe that in such a small package you get 4 remote sensing channels and 1 local sensor.

Too small for my aging digital camera. This was about the best photo I could get.On a tripod, the camera still cant focus on this little critter.

I am now thinking I may have bit off more than I can chew on this... It looks near impossible to solder 16pins in a 5mm space.

For the pcb etching I am thinking about using a photo resist method to lay the tracks. From what i have read it is the most accurate.

I am still building a shopping list for the central control pcb,

Currently it will have several functions.

Temp monitoring. Especially for the playstation, which may allow me to run it passive. It will mean I can run a switched fan to it.

Monitor control. It will house the monitor eidid, the monitor power supply and will give me something to plug the graphics card to.

Usb splitter. I intend to have the USB ports mounted on the side. I will use the central pcb though to be the routing point for the USB lines. The idea is to have the usb double up as a connection for the pc and the playstation. I was going to use it with some sort of electric switching. Now I am thinking about using a mechanical switch.

LED control. Yup I am thinking along the lines of adding this to the pcb as well.

Can anyone reccomend me a good (preferably free!) pcb design package?
    www.Justblair.co.uk My depository for electronic projects and articles

Fresh Paint

Greetings fellow Scot! Great work the case looks fantastic. I like the way you bent the mesh for the case cos that aluminium stuff doesnt bend well. You have to get it right first time.

Whats the odds of two haggis bashers making mesh boxes at the same time lol?

If you've got an eyetoy for the PS2 it works great as a webcam for the PC.
    640x480 at 30fps very good quality.
    Instructions here: http://www.jamespo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/eyetoy/

Super Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by h0w1ingM@dMurd0ck
    Greetings fellow Scot! Great work the case looks fantastic. I like the way you bent the mesh for the case cos that aluminium stuff doesnt bend well. You have to get it right first time.

Whats the odds of two haggis bashers making mesh boxes at the same time lol?

If you've got an eyetoy for the PS2 it works great as a webcam for the PC.
    640x480 at 30fps very good quality.
    Instructions here: http://www.jamespo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/eyetoy/
    Its funny you should suggest the eye toy. Not that I was going to use one, but that I had considered a web cam for the project. Not that I ever use one to communicate with, but just that when you start integrating other devices into your pc, it seems to become a bit of a habit.

Other things I have considerd.

Modem... Windows MCE includes caller ID. Thought it would be cool to use a Bluetooth headset so that I could make phone calls and even control the system by voice. (I am into home automation)

IR sensor. To wake the machine when I am in the living room. Though there are likely to be problems with this idea. My kitchen lights are movement controlled. Its fine except sometimes if you sand still too long you are plunged into darkness!

Phone charger/cradle.. Might yet do this.

Mouse charger/cradle... Really thinking about this one.

Super Secret Agent

Finally got a parts list made up for the electronics. Phew it aint easy sifting through online catalogues... Checking datasheets and trying to match up crimp housings to the right pins... But I did it. Got the order in to www.farnell.co.uk. They take a minimum order of £20 before VAT but do give free delivery. For the sake of anyone who wishes to copy me (assuming I get it all to work!), here is what I ordered

Part Num. Qty. Availability Line Price Description
    Manuf Part No
    ========= ==== ============ ==========
    ======================================== ===============
    4437421 1 In Stock 15.14 BOX, D/CST F-LID 187X119X56;
    Length / He 1590DFLBK
    3004752 1 In Stock 1.77 IC, REGULATOR ADJ +1.2/33V;
    Voltage regu LM350T
    9452729 5 In Stock 0.39 CAPACITOR, 0.1UF 63V; RoHS
    Compliant:YES MCMHR63V104M4X7
    9693734 5 In Stock 0.24 CAPACITOR, 1UF 50V; RoHS
    Compliant:YES; ECA1HM010
    770541 50 In Stock 0.60 RESISTOR, 0.25W 5% 240R;
    Resistor elemen MCF 0.25W 240R
    108238 3 In Stock 0.93 TRIMMER, 5K; RoHS
    Compliant:YES; Resisto 3306P-001-502
    9846743 10 In Stock 1.20 TRANSISTOR, NPN TO-92; RoHS
    Compliant:YE 2N3904
    653184 10 In Stock 0.75 CAPACITOR, 0.0022UF 50V;
    Capacitance:0.0 ECQB1H222JF.
    9731601 10 In Stock 3.60 HEADER, SQ PIN 0.1" 2WAY;
    RoHS Compliant 22-05-7028
    9731636 5 In Stock 2.90 HEADER, SQ PIN 0.1" 5WAY;
    RoHS Compliant 22-05-7058
    143126 10 In Stock 1.38 CRIMP HOUSING, 0.1" 2WAY;
    RoHS Compliant 22-01-2025
    146256 10 In Stock 1.84 CRIMP HOUSING, 0.1" 5WAY;
    RoHS Compliant 22-01-2055
    9773789 1 In Stock 4.02 CRIMP PIN, 22-30AWG PK100;
    RoHS Complian 08-50-0032
    9413359 2 In Stock 0.84 IC, SM EEPROM SERIAL, 1K;
    RoHS Compliant 24LC21A-I/SNG
    477886 50 In Stock 0.60 RESISTOR, 0.125W 5% 47K;
    Resistor elemen MCF 0.125W 47K
    8577358 10 In Stock 3.40 LED, 5MM 40X100DEG BLUE;
    Colour, LED:Blu HLMP-HB55-FJ000
    891198 1 In Stock 3.08 PEN ULTRASOLVE 12ML;
    Volume:12ml ULS12P
    425310 1 In Stock 0.93 SWITCH, 3 POLE 4 POS; RoHS
    Compliant:NO; CK1026.
    422411 1 In Stock 0.93 SWITCH, 4 POLE 3 POS; RoHS
    Compliant:NO; CK1027.
    662458 2 In Stock 3.00 KNOB ALUMINIUM SPUN 18MM;
    Depth, externa 18S-2D
    489864 50 In Stock 1.10 RESISTOR, 0.5W 5% 200R;
    Resistor element MCF 0.5W 200R

Shipping : £0.00
    Tax : £8.51
    Total : £57.15

As you can see I broke the £20 minimum order by a good long shot. I am off to maplins tomorrow to get a pcb manufacture starter kit.

Got a mixture of dread and excitement going on. The electronics involved in this stage is going to be quite a challenge for me. Especially surface mounting that Maxim 1668 temperature controller and building a PCB. I have attempted nothing like this before.

Still looking for tips on PCB design software and PCB manufacture if any veterens are out there? I am thinking about building two seperate PCB. One for the temperature sensor and one for the psone screen power regulator and signal adaptor.

Any helpfull comments most graciously recieved!

Super Secret Agent

Default Re: PC-Playstation 2 Hybrid Photo Update 24/08/06

Update.

Recieved my order from Farnell. Well I got it Tuesday, but the hammond box they sent me closely resembled a 5 way surge protector. A phone call sorted it out, and my hammond box arrived today. I will forgive them that one easily, sorting out the problem was a joy, The lady that answered the phone could not be more helpful.

In the meanwhile I got some overhead transparency paper for printing the PCB. Tried out Eagle PCB, got baffled more than anything, but I'll learn it.

Tonight however I made my HD silencer. Thanks to Alleycat at SPCR for sharing this gem... You guys have got to make yourself one of these things... its awesome.

So here goes... The recipe for HD silence.

1 Hard drive.
    1 Cable
    1 Power molex extension (mine was cut off a PII cpu cooler)
    3 Gel packs (a la LIDL) 2 quid a box of 2
    1 188x119x55mm Alu alloy Hammond enclosure.
    some elastic.

Take the hammond box. The one I got was flanged. Go for the flanged version if only because there is something inexplicably very amusing about the word flange. The flanges also give a conveniant way to attach the elastic...More of that in a bit.

Then take 2 of the medical cooling packs and line the base of the Hammond of enclosure, folding them up the sides and back.

Next take your HD and place it in the bed of cool gel that you have made. Push it around a bit to get it settled.

Then mark around the top edge of the box where your cables will come out. File away the edge so that the cables fit and very snugly. Putting a gel pack in the box while you file greatly reduces the He Haw He Haw noise by the way. When you have a good fit, wash and dry everything.

Next place the gel packs and HD and cables back into the Hammond Box

Then add gel pack no 3 to the top...

And carefully attach the.... Flanged... Lid on the box and fit the screws. Be carefull that you dont burst the bag of Gel as you do this....

Next feed several lengths of elastic to the.... Flanges.

And use the elastic to tie the.... Flanged Hammond enclosure to the mounting brackets/points/whatever inside your case. I have knotted these in this picture, when I get to final build, I will sow the elastic into neat loops.

Then power your machine on, hoping that those bags have not burst. And start punishing your HD in a vain attempt to get it to make some noise. Mine is now silent unitil i get my ear to within 20cm of the drive. Thats in a system with no other moving parts. I am so happy I could burst!

It replaces a silentdrive enclosure, Which unsuspended was getting to 44c when recording and watching TV. I have still to test this new enclosure. Initial figures look good, but I figure that the gel will make the temperature change more gradual than before. I'll update with temps in a bit.

Fresh Paint

I recon it will cook. The gel will insulate the heat and keep it local to the hard drive unless gel is 'charged' in the freezer first. Might work, definately quieter but probably see an increase in temps. Damage will be gradual but maybe hard drives tolerate heat dont know tbh.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Wow! Good technique! I will definately be trying that if I ever do a stealth mod (I plan to). Great job so far!

However, you will probably need to work out a way to cool that hard drive....
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Super Secret Agent

This technique I am afraid I can't claim as my own...

Alleycats Homebrew HD enclosure at SPCR

A unlikely as it may seem, the gel packs transfer enough heat (at least in the machines where it has been tried) to the Alu case to cool the drive.

I have just performed a full defrag (first on months) on the drive. It reached 44c. *Within its recommended maximum temperature of 55C*. Took over an hour to reach that temperature.

Of course i will have to monitor it closely over the next week, it has to my knowledge never been tried on a passive machine. I may add fins to the hammond box in the future to compensate for the lack of airflow... But only if I need to.

*Checked my temps this morning the system was left to idle overnight. Got 38c at the HD.*

**Edit

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

this by far the best hdd enclosure
    brilliant, jus brilliant !!

LOUD AND PROUD !