Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: PC-Playstation 2 Hybrid

Super Secret Agent

Default Re: PC-Playstation 2 Hybrid

Soldering those little suface mount chips is not that hard to do... This was my very first attempt at them. Its one of those jobs that looks way harder than it is.

Best advice I can give to anyone considering it is to check online for video tutorials for surface mount components... There are loads of them out there.

The key points to this kind of soldering.

1...clean the contacts first with a pcb solvent. I think you might get away without doing this, but a pen is a few quid, and it is very usefull for cleaning up after.

2...Use a flux pen to apply liquid flux to the solder contacts. This bit is essential

3...Then place your chip. (the guides suggest a magnifying glass on the tools list. I didn't need this) I found the flux was slightly tacky making this easier

4...Then holding the chip in place with tweezers or fine pliars, dry solder the chip in place. Basicly press down on one of the outside pins and it sticks to the board. Then dry solder the diagonally opposite pin. This bit makes it a whole lot easier.. Again essential IMO

5...Then place the wire of solder accross the base of all the pins on one side.

6...Starting at the top of the leg of the chip mover your iron downwards into the solder. As if by magic (and this is where the flux makes a difference) the solder melts and sticks only to the board and the chip contacts. Accuracy is not that important, you can do several pins at the same time.

7...If you get any bridged contacts, drawing the iron down again, then along the pcb trace wicks the excess solder away and the gap is formed. A little more flux may be required if your origional application is no longer liquid.

8... Finally use your solvent pen to clean the now brown and goey flux from the pcb.

9... Stand back and marvel at your work. Better still stick the pcb directly under the nose of a family member and demand that they hail you as a deity.

Thanks to all that have given such kind and supportive posts!
    www.Justblair.co.uk My depository for electronic projects and articles

Overclocked

and...never run your soldering iron under the tap to cool it down, because the rapid temperature change will form limescale (or something hard and unsavoury) thats a pain to get off, and will ruin your iron (cos the solder will flow along it, and touch the board).

Super Secret Agent

Good advice Chedabob.

Also pick it up by the handle when its hot! I learned that one through experiance I am afraid!

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

holy **** that is well nice man!

Super Secret Agent

How long overdue is this update then???

I have not been lazy though I have made some progress..

First of all the bad news.

The window tint did not take on the perspex. I dont know why, but I got too many bubbles in between the tint and the glex. This was frustrating to say the least.

So I was left with 3 options...

1. Try again with the tint
    2. buy some proper smoked perspex
    3. come up with another idea

I tried to source some smoked sheet perspex, but was not having much luck, so I thought I would give the third option a go. I managed to source 3mm thick sheet alu locally so I thought that I would give it a go...

What do you think.

Of note in the design is that I made a small panel for the power switches. It is made from a sheet of thin perspex sandwiched between the main 3mm sheet and a much thinner sheet (1mm at most) of alu. The power buttons hold the panel together. I have been experimenting with shining blue leds through perspex rods to backlight the panel. I get a nice sort of glow from behind it. I should really be honest, this was not my origional plan, but I messed up with the drilling of the holes in the 3mm sheet. My 16mm drill bit chewed up the sheet leaving a rough edge that I just couldn't fix. The panel masks this. I have plans to try making a couple of panel designs to see which I prefer.. I'll be taking votes.

You can also see in the photo how I tackled the IR sensor. I used my drill press to cut a set of 5 4mm holes in the pannel. I then forced through some perspex rod, trimmed it and then sanded it down to flush. The final stage will see the whole front facia polished to either an even brushed alu or more likely a mirror finish. The pespex in the sensors by the way is not that light looking in real fife. Its very dark in fact but the flash lit it up.

What you cant see in the pictures (cause I forgot to take a snap) is that I have removed even more of the steel in the chassis. I added a couple of alu w shaped rod in first then jigsawed out the remaining side panels. This is of course to add more ventilation.

I had origionally intended to keep these in to mute the sound of the HD. But the enclosure has been so successful, I have no need for this.

I have a plan sorted out for the back of the unit now as well... More Alu. I have enough 3mm sheet left to make a cosmetic plate to tidy the back up and also to put a polished alu sheet in to the exposed floor of the case.

I also made a first attempt at the side panel for the case, but you will have to wait on that one, I think I will be revisiing it again

In the meanwhile, does the alu sheet get a vote of confidence or should I try and find some of that elusive black perspex?

Overclocked

personally, i'm a huge fan of the industrial look, so i love the way that case looks right now.
    if you stick with the aluminum, i'd vote to go for the brushed look over the mirror. but then, it ain't my mod either

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

one more vote for the brushed aluminium,
    i just cant resist it!

and i must ad that you did a wonderful job so far

LOUD AND PROUD !

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

www.tapplastics.com

they have some samll sections you can order...thought they may be too small for what you need.....but their pricees are low

i plan on ordering from them when i need some more

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Super Secret Agent

I think that they are US based, thanks for the link, but I am a few thousand miles off the beaten track. I see they do international orders, but they mention mail for price on these and the buyer pays on transit for damaged goods both ways.

It would be more a UK or European supplier that I would be looking for.. Thanks though for looking that out for me.. Do I take that as a vote for the perspex then?

As for the other comments, thankyou. The brushed is probably the more subtle effect. I am swayed a bit by the shiny, though I am not sure for definate. Would welcome any opinions

Anodized

my votes for brushed aluminum...looks better with that specific case design
    I'M A SCAMMER, DON'T DO TRADE/BUSINESS WITH ME.