Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Default Re: PC-Playstation 2 Hybrid

Very PowerMac-like. I dig it.

Super Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by a.Bird View Post
    Very PowerMac-like. I dig it.
    I see what you mean, The mac was not my inspiration though, this ones more along the lines of "Neccessity is the mother of invention" in the design process.

Legal Disclaimer...Any resemblance to other PC's real or imaginary is purely coincidental.
    www.Justblair.co.uk My depository for electronic projects and articles

Lmao, "real or imaginary". There are no legalities when it comes to imagination, damnit!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I've been watching this project for some time now and it looks like you know a lot about PS2's so mabye you could help me. I got a PS2 from my auntie (she had been having trouble with it), she had it repared once and it broke again, it was the fuse. I replaced the fuse, turned it on and it blew again. My uncle said he had tried this but every fuse he put in blew. The fuse is a standard 250V fuse and I was wondering if this wasnt enough? I also thought it might be the AC power adapter. any ideas. If I can't fix it EB games take broken consoles anyway.

Overclocked

is it a fuse inside your ps2? either way you may just need a new psu for it.

just do some research on your model of ps2 you have and which psus go with it. otherwise you could pull it out and look for a model number on the power supply itself.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Well it was one of the first ones when it was bout $700 AUS. My auntie just bough a new one lol.

Resident Alcoholic

Looking great!
    I preferred the smoked plexy idea myself. - it's a little too plain when its all aluminium..
    If you could use smoked plexy and stealth the drives it would make it look 400 times better in my opinion but it looks great as it is and what realy matters is what YOU like
    H

Super Secret Agent

@The boy 4rm oz

Hi. Sorry I took a couple of days to spot your posts

Regarding the playstation 1. I certainly wouldn’t consider myself an authority on them yet, but I have learned a bit.

The fact that it is blowing a fuse when you plug it in would lead me to suspect that it is indeed your power supply that is buggered. I would imagine that if you open the thing you will find a blown capacitor on the power supply board. If you are opening it, a small word of caution. The capacitors on the power supply are capable of holding a charge, so be carefull what you touch. The caps on these supplies are not too large, so I doubt it would injure you too badly if you got a jolt, but it wouldn’t be pleasant! You can test to see if the power supply is causing the fuse to blow by removing it from the playstation and then powering it. If the fuse blows then its buggered.

In your playstation there will be three PCBs. One will be the power supply itself, easy to spot as it will have a few large components on it and the chord from the rear switch will enter it. It’s the easiest to get to. When you remove the bottom part of the case, it will be the first thing you see. Its held on with four screws. And you will be looking at the underside of it. Remove it carefully if you have had power to the unit recently. Inspect the components on the top side. My guess is you will spot a burst cap. If you do, then you know that it is the power supply that is burst, if not power it up and see if its broken or not. Do this with extreme caution. Mains electricity is dangerous and can kill. Then you have some choices….

1. Buy a power supply from an online parts store. But if yours is one of the origionals this might be both difficult to track down and more expensive than the machine merits. The playstations have been through a few revisions (10 on the old style case), and the size and placement of components vary between revisions.

2. If its a blown cap you could desolder it and replace it with a cap of the same value.

2. Modify an external power supply to attach it to the old board. This is the route I would take, its probably cheaper. I seem to remember the ps2 is rated at about 3A, so you would have to make sure the supply you used was rated high enough. On your playstation there are 4 pins that carry power to the electronics. They are in the same dimensions as a molex plug uses, but don’t be fooled into thinking they are wireed the same. 2 carry 12v and 2 carry the common ground. You have to identify which is which. This I did by measuring a working power supply with a multimeter, but you can also search t’internet to get the right ones. Then you can either snip the external power supplies 12v plug and hard wire it to the pins or you could buy a socket and wire that up to give yourself a plug in external power supply. This is similar to what I have done for this project though I have used the 12v line from my PC power supply.

If that doesn’t work then you have to look to the surface mount fuses that are on the playstation itself. A t’internet search will help you find diagrams to identify them. A multimeter is essential for this job as you will have to check them to see if any are blown. If they are you can either replace them (if your good with a soldering iron or bridge them. I use conductive ink to do this, simply painting over the top of them. It’s a quick and durty way of working, but on an old playstation who cares?

@onlegout. I know what you mean about the alu being plain in comparison. However I have a plan to combat it. The screen for a start will hopefully add interest to the front when I get it wired in, I have also created a lighting effect for the pannel around the power switches. Hopefully this will add sufficient interest to the front pannel to get over the sameness with the sides and top. Time will tell :0)
    www.Justblair.co.uk My depository for electronic projects and articles

I pulled the whole PS2 appart and studied everything closely, I have seen blown capacitors on PC motherboards so I know what I am looking for, it was the first this I looked for after finding the fuse. I disn't notice anything out of the ordinary so I just put it back together and fired it up, it worked for a few seconds before i heard a loud pop and it shut down. I can't really be bothered fixing it if I gotta get a new PSU or stuff around with an ATX PSU. I would just get a better trade in if it was working lol.

Thanks for all your help, I migh try some of your ideas and get back to you.