Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AM2 vs. 939

Default AM2 vs. 939

I'll be building a new system before the year ends, so I was wondering what you guys think. AM2 vs. 939? AM2 is new technology so there will be new stuff for it in the future, but 939 has good stuff right now. What would you guys get?

Default Re: AM2 vs. 939

Depends on what you value more, upgradability or stability.

AM2 is new and with any new product there are likely to be bumps along the way. But if you want the newest stuff with cool features go for it.

939 is pretty rock solid, so if that is important to you than stick with 939. But at the same time, your upgrade ability is fairly limited.

I personally say AM2.

Currently under work: Xbox/PC Hybrid Tower

CZTR Series Queue Line:
    Shuttle XPC
    Dell Inspiron 3800 (Yeah a laptop)
    SGI O2

ATX Mental Case

I think the AM2 will be more future proof. Going the 939 route seem a lot cheaper at first (the reason I brought up the money is because as of right now the performance difference between the AM2 and the 939 is very small). However, knowing AMD you'll have a whole lot of upgrade oportunities with the new socket. If you buy a really good motherboard, you could upgrade it for a long time before you have to get a whole new system saving you money in the long run. I learned that having a good mobo is a much better decision than having good parts to start out with (If thats what it comes down to). You can always upgrade seperate parts but a new mobo pretty much means a new computer.

Life is like an analogy...

between the two options, am2 is my preference. the whole future-proof thing and the boosted bandwidth from ddr2 ram is a key point. not to mention virtualization.

if you are going for a real performance machine... i cant figure out what amd's next move will be, and conroe is looking good. i hear that conroe is going to be release very soon (i saw rumours of the 11th of this month).

conroe is a real number cruncher, and i like the new 128 bit wide SSE stuff. even though am2 is pretty good, i dont think it can shake a stick at the potential multimedia and floating point gains that conroe shows.

so yes.. out of the two you mentioned... am2, but conroe might be he favourite for the rest of this year anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Ok, I think I'll probably get an AM2. Only thing is, as of right now, I don't think that there are any DFI boards for AM2. I only mention that because I hear DFI is good for overclocking which I want to do. Can anyone recommend a good overclockers board for AM2?

And Slug, what is Conroe? Is it a new core for AM2 CPU's or what?

And Slug, what is Conroe?
    i dont think i believe what i just read. you dont know what conroe is?

conroe is intel's answer to amd's performance domination. unfortunately the intel name might ruin it right there, but the numbers shown so far are good enough that a lot of amd people are defecting back to intel's side... and the processors arent even out yet. ive heard nothign but good things about the processor. whats still going to bring it down is the fsb.

if i were you, id wait until the end of summer to see what happens. if the conroe numbers are as good as they're supposed to be, your wait wont be for nothing.

now as far as dfi am2 motherboards go, i havent heard of any yet, but i have heard that they are in the works. they'll probably be out soon i suppose.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Quad-core Conroe? Wow, I might have to wait to build my new system. But, I'm guessing that is going to be majorly expensive, so what would you guys suggest for a not-very-expensive system? That's one reason I'm still considering 939, it's not very expensive stuff. I don't really want to spend more then $400 on a CPU. Gotta have some money left over for a good graphics card .

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus.
    Ok, I think I'll probably get an AM2. Only thing is, as of right now, I don't think that there are any DFI boards for AM2. I only mention that because I hear DFI is good for overclocking which I want to do. Can anyone recommend a good overclockers board for AM2?

Just wait for a DFI mobo for AM2 and you're set.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quad-core Conroe?
    what? no, theres no quad core coming out yet. the first ones are still dual core. i think quad core is on the road map for next year though.

Just wait for a DFI mobo for AM2 and you're set.
    just wait for a while. period.

you wont be disappointed.

1. prices drop

2. im not pushing conroe or anything, but holy crap its looking good, and i would not be surprised if a $300 conroe processor would run circles around a $300 am2 processor.

so just wait...

Waiting sure won't be a problem... I don't expect to have this within the next few months... I'm only 14 and just got my first job about a month ago so I'll be waiting a while as it is. I just want to know this stuff so I can start thinking about what to get.