Thread: Interesting test results

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Interesting test results

So I'm doing some thermal testing on a new CPU cooler and I have some odd results, hoping someone can shed some light for me.

I'm using OCCT 4.4.0 for testing and monitoring and also AIDA64 Extreme for secondary monitoring.

Both of my monitoring programs show separate readings for temp on each CPU core and then a separate reading labeled "CPU temp".

The "CPU temp" is consistently 10-11 degrees LOWER than the core temp readings (which all read very close to one another).

It's odd because when I run the same programs on my main system the "core temps" are right in line with the "CPU temps". Note that this main system has a standard air cooler on it.

The interesting part is, in a 23-degree ambient test setting the CPU temp hovers right at 27 at idle but the core temps are all 16-17, well below ambient. If this were a normal cooler I'd immediately write it off as an error or some sort, but this cooler is theoretically capable of sub-ambient temps.

Can anyone shed any light on why there are different readings or individual temps and another for the CPU as a whole, and possibly the reason for the discrepancies?

Thanks in advance!

“Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: Interesting test results

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    So I'm doing some thermal testing on a new CPU cooler and I have some odd results, hoping someone can shed some light for me.

I'm using OCCT 4.4.0 for testing and monitoring and also AIDA64 Extreme for secondary monitoring.

Both of my monitoring programs show separate readings for temp on each CPU core and then a separate reading labeled "CPU temp".

The "CPU temp" is consistently 10-11 degrees LOWER than the core temp readings (which all read very close to one another).

It's odd because when I run the same programs on my main system the "core temps" are right in line with the "CPU temps". Note that this main system has a standard air cooler on it.

The interesting part is, in a 23-degree ambient test setting the CPU temp hovers right at 27 at idle but the core temps are all 16-17, well below ambient. If this were a normal cooler I'd immediately write it off as an error or some sort, but this cooler is theoretically capable of sub-ambient temps.

Can anyone shed any light on why there are different readings or individual temps and another for the CPU as a whole, and possibly the reason for the discrepancies?

Thanks in advance!

Wheres the thermister for the CPU located? Some AMD board thermisters are physically located under the CPU socket and look like little black/clear diodes, old 462's actually had a thermister probe sticking off the board.... but anyways those types of mainboard CPU_TEMP's are usually off by 10 degrees or so because they're reading the outside/underside of the CPU and not the internal temp.

I'm not quite sure how intel's temperature readings work to be honest, but i'd assume its about the same way some how.

Default Re: Interesting test results

What do the bios temps read?

Also have a areas of this http://www.silentpcreview.com/article191-page2.html