Thread: Water cooling advice

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Water cooling advice

Ok, I'm not entirely new to water cooling but the most in-depth loop I've built had a 240 radiator, two video cards, the CPU and a pump/reservoir combo. Not exactly demanding.

I have a huge order of water-cooling parts coming in on Tuesday for a big project and I need some advice. I'm expecting three radiators, a reservoir, pump and five blocks, along with miscellaneous fittings and tubing.

Is there something I should do with the radiators/blocks/pump/reservoir before putting a system together? Any kind of rinsing/cleaning that's recommended? I'll be using Monsoon Hardline tubing for the build but have plenty of barbs and hose on hand to put together a rinsing loop if it's needed.

I've gone and jumped completely off the deep end on this project and just want it to be right, by which I mean reliable and pretty.

Added: Also, it occurs to me that I'm asking a LOT out of this pump in this loop. Three radiators and six water blocks. I'll be using a Phobya DC12-400 pump, which has an excellent flow rate and maximum head from what I've read, but I wonder if I shouldn't add a second one for this loop?

Any of you long-time water-coolers have any advice? (Does Spawn Inc hang around here any more? He'd be all up in this one...)

Thanks!!!

Edit: Yes, I've looked at other forums and found a ton of different answers but we all know this group is the best out there.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 02-15-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Default Re: Water cooling advice

As long as you dont have overly restrictive blocks or rads you should be alright but if you have the money I would go for the second pump just for the redundancy.

Its not exactly an expensive pump either so go for it. Also turbine fans, lots of cosmetic radiators and heatsinks, three rads and six blocks..... I am excited to see what is going to be made.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Water cooling advice

Thanks! I've ordered a second pump. It'll look better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    Also turbine fans, lots of cosmetic radiators and heatsinks, three rads and six blocks..... I am excited to see what is going to be made.
    I'll be posting a worklog here once I have some work done. Making a case for this year's Quakecon modding contest in July. I'm all in on this one, and I've got LOTS of work to do. I need to get started!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”