Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Imperium

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Imperium

Quote Originally Posted by licenseless View Post
    I... I think .... I think I love you
    Awwwwwwww!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

I forgot to give a big thanks to TLHarrell for the planetary gears and the letter I on the front, those were laser-cut for me on his machine. Thanks!!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Spotlighting would probably be amazing because this really doesn't need much lighting it would distract to much.

I would suggest dollhouse lighting like this.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=251048730494

Or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dollhouse-mi...item3a73ab9895

Dollhouse lighting, wow. That's a very interesting idea, I'll look into it.

Up until now I had pictured a couple of short dim CCFLs (dimmed by some mechanical means like window tinting film) for overall light and then a couple of these for the high points like the video card cover and the camshafts:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=34752

Default Update 4/24 - More gears!!

Been a while since I updated the worklog, but work continues. Life seems to get in the way of the things we want to do sometimes. Made a lot of progress since then though, lots to add here on this update!

One of my favorite things in Dishonored was the Heart. When I first saw Corvo holding it and saw it light up inside and the gears start turning when I turned toward a Rune I was just amazed. How awesome. I wanted to include some kind of element like that in this build but wasn't sure how to pull it off. I decided to integrate a piece of another mod that never came to fruition.

Some of you here at TBCS may remember project Clockwork and both of its unfinished worklogs. I'm glad to see it as a donor here. In that previous project I had planned on making everything really rusty and neglected. It had a lot of mechanical aspects to it also. I picked up this awesome little gear clock on Amazon:

With a lot of patience and practice I learned a faux rust paint technique, tore it apart and gave it the neglected look I wanted.

Even the inside up close looked pretty good when I was done.

In that project it was supposed to protrude out the top of the case and turn with a motor.

But the project was stillborn so it's been laying in one of my mod closets ever since. I decided to put it to use here. I kept the upper drive bays intact in the case just for this purpose, and when I made the face I put a porthole there with a 5-inch convex clock lens I found on Ebay also. I finally got this second motion element done over the weekend. I got it mounted in place and decided that the rust I'd worked so hard on was a HUGE clash with the clean iron paint I'd used to that point, so I took it out and gave it a coat of dark bronze. I left some of the rust but it looks a lot newer now. It contrasts with the iron but I don't think it clashes like it did rusty.

Once I had it in place I didn't want to see the ugly drive bay through the window so I made an acrylic cover for it and painted it in the same iron style.

It doesn't show very well here because of the light, but the finished version will be lit from inside the box with red LED strips. I tried to simulate the backlighting in the video with a flashlight, clearly failing miserably.

In the end I think it will make an excellent addition to the project.

I was also able to finish off both of the radiators. I had them painted and mounted on the outside of the side panels but I decided that I really didn't like the look of the bare mounting holes. I didn't want to put grills on it so I found a way to cover the holes that stays with the style to some extent.

I'll take a minute to mention one of my sponsors here, Deepcool. They were kind enough to send me six of their US120R 120mm fans for the radiators and I have to say that I love them.

They're heavy, solid fans, and the whole black area is a dense rubber compound of some kind, just flexible enough to absorb vibrations but still serve as mounts on the corners. They are also some of the quietest fans I've used. Absolutely love them but the color isn't going to work . The three in the top section will be visible behind the camshafts so I had to paint them.

Once those were in place I finished off the new trim on the outer part of the radiators.

This finished off the top section!

All that's left there are lights, wiring and tubing and I can't do those until the thing is bolted together as a unit. Finished upper section pics:

Couple more bits of progress. I managed to snag a Sapphire 7970 card and will be using it instead of the 6950 that I had before. Problem was, I had designed and built the video card cover around that card. Thankfully I was able to successfully adapt the cover to the new card. I've decided due to time constraints not to water cool it, mounting it as is.

I showed the front intake fan earlier as part of the paint post but I didn't show what I did there. I cut down one of my favorite fans, a Noctua I've had for a long while, so it would stick out the front of the case. The end result was worth it!

The fans on top of the upper section are Turbine Master fans from Cooler Master. I cut the wires and ripped out the magnets so these are not fans any more but what I like to call kinetic vent covers. The fans in the upper section are mounted in a push configuration so they intake through these fans. The plan was to have them spin very slowly with the intake air pressure. I even added a small crossflow fan to the back with a fan controller on it so I could regulate the interior pressure and control their speed that way.

The theory was sound, but something went wrong with the fans and I cannot get them to spin at the same speed no matter what I do. The radiator fans are hooked to the Lamptron fan controller and it only has low and high settings. On the low setting they don't even move and on the high setting they spin in a blur.

I've decided to call them turbo fans and move on.

I also added a female 110 outlet and a switch to the rear of the bottom section just below the PSU. I'll get to the reason for that in the wiring update.

That's all for today. Progress continues though. The bottom section is almost complete cosmetically, but it's largely a containment unit anyway. I've been working on the rear and lower panels in the main section, figuring out a way to make them more even and uniform, and deciding how I'm going to deal with those damned 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors and the SATA cables. More on that with the next update, then I can finally bolt the three sections together for good and start on the wiring and the lights. Then maybe I can finally start bending some tubing!
    Last edited by blueonblack; 04-24-2014 at 11:43 PM.

This is coming along brilliantly can't wait for the next update

ATX Mental Case

Love the old, worn out look of the gears that you did.
    "Do or do not... there is no try."
    -Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    Love the old, worn out look of the gears that you did.
    Thank you sir!

Ok, I love this project, I really do. It has a huge monolithic heavy iron feel that I wanted that I think goes along so well with the theme. Looking at it though (and especially photographing it) I'm starting to think "too much black".

I'm considering changing the color on some of the accents like the huge "I" and the gears at the bottom of the front plate, the Outsider symbol at the top, the reservoir trim ring, maybe even the rivet heads.

Any suggestions from the group on a color that might go well with all of this cast-iron black to break it up some but not throw off the overall heavy industrial feel?

Looking good! I love the gears showing through. And glad to see a bit of Clockwork living on.

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Ok, I love this project, I really do. It has a huge monolithic heavy iron feel that I wanted that I think goes along so well with the theme. Looking at it though (and especially photographing it) I'm starting to think "too much black".

I'm considering changing the color on some of the accents like the huge "I" and the gears at the bottom of the front plate, the Outsider symbol at the top, the reservoir trim ring, maybe even the rivet heads.

Any suggestions from the group on a color that might go well with all of this cast-iron black to break it up some but not throw off the overall heavy industrial feel?
    Bronze metallic in a satin finish. Either that or a brushed nickel look. Although you'd have to use a lot less of the nickel to keep it from being too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field