Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magnets?

Overclocked

Default Re: Magnets?

try this, take a magnet in your hand and slowly move it towards the screen. youll notice the screen changes colors. if you get too close with it youll make the color change stay for a long time. like a few weeks.

if you are absolutally worried about your hard drives, just glue a ferrite to the back of the magnet.

ferrites absorb magnetic fields.

or just put a peice of iron or steel between them and the magnets. it condenses the magnetic field and as long as it does not saturate, the iron will keep the fiel from reaching the hdds and make the field on the other side strong. this is called adding external iron.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Razors Edge

Yes, My older brother has accually had a job in the Western Digital offices in white plains. He accually disassembled the hardrive to take the magnets, from the defective hardrives.

Basicley, the magnets found in a hardrive, are the strongest. I recomend taking apart an old crappy non-working hardrive with a allen-tool, and spectating how powerfull the magnets are. If you are going to use magnets that strong, keep them aobut 5 or 6 inches away. If you are using a normal fridge magnet, You can stick them ON the hardrive and they wont do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    False. The button is Degaussing, which does not fix magnet problems.

I did that to my old CRT, but fixed it by strategically moving the magnet around until the CRT was fine agian.
    I held a hard drive magnet to my CRT, and by degaussing 4 times, the CRT was fine again. See in cause you dont know, degaussing is a process to remove an unwanted magnetic field, thus by doing it a few times it would eventully remove the discoloration.

And about the hard drives, it takes some powerful magnets to even effect a hard drive.

Overclocked

yes in fact i do know.

i was alluding to any crt.

and i did not know if everybody who reads this would have the degauss option. old crts do not degauss.

dont assume anything

-ghandi

My CRT is from 1998, thats pretty old, if you have one older, then that is pretty bad.

Overclocked

i have a dell from 92 it wont work with xp
    EPYK : very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary

lots of mod tutorials

Overclocked

im running windows 3.x on an old dinosaur of mine
    diskettes and dos BABY!!!

-ghandi

MitaPi

Quote Originally Posted by .alchinko.
    yes it does. but if it does there is a button that you can hit to de-magnetize your screen.

Yea what omega said is right.. BUT there is a device that you can buy that does demagnatize your screen. Lol it will just rune you about 200 bucks for a good one. I helped out alot in my high school and we used those alot for the computers. They work very very well too! They remind me of a picture frame with a handle attached to it.