Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Alien Hospital

Default Re: Project: Alien Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by _ferry_
    Thanks

The hospital will be made when the alien is (almost) finished.

My previous project was supposed to be a case with some spider web's and a spider on the side. But it never came that far, because it took so much time to create the spider. So it's a case with spider webs but no spider Due to that i decided to change the building process and start with the alien instead of the case.
    I still have a pic of the head around here. I was very interested on it, sadly, no spiders... (Kumo means Spider in japanese )

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo
    I still have a pic of the head around here. I was very interested on it, sadly, no spiders... (Kumo means Spider in japanese )
    Cool, you remember

The head of this alien looks better, that spider head was nice but not the way i wanted it. I've been working on the legs too, but i didn't came much further on it.

1 good thing about it: it was a good practice and gave me some good ideas for this alien.

(and now i'm going to add the last details on his arm )

New update, with the finished arm:

As you can see his left arm weapon is different than the right hand, i took some copper wires. I would like to tell you about the exact function of those but i can't: The alien has never been seen by human, so nobody knows what it does.

The open wound in his arm. I made a spring from some wire and put some wires in it.

I bought some styrene to start detailing the brains. Those should look like a computer, IC's, HDD and communication with the body. I showed some pictures before of the platters. Now it's time for the read/write heads, they look boring without any connections/controller, so i ended up today with this:

The flatcable will be fit with some glue onto the styrene. Below the styrene base 4 fiber wires act as communication channels.

Note it's a laptop-HDD, the styrene base is only about 1x1.5cm. I've never build with styrene before, but i like it! Details can be added exact the way i want, but it took quite some time.

I'm thinking of ordering a simple airbrush. I don't have any troubles with brushing and brush effects, but parts like this are hard to brush due too the deep gaps. They are sold at e-bay for +/- 40€ so it's worth the try . Can i connect them to a normal compressor instead of a special airbrush compressor? And almost every waterbased paint can be used? Any other important things i should know about it?

Sunday evening means update time

I've been working on the top of his head as i showed you in the last update. Time to move on with that.

Here you can see his head, with the HDD and some styrene works, a small fan (2cm) with some kind of circuit around it.

I made a cover for his brains before:

But i wasn't totally happy with the result. That's the reason why I've painted it, because i wanted to try how the color turns out. Quite like skin color isn't it? We'll come back on the paint stuff later.

This was the new idea, plexiglas shapes with clay between them. Nice idea, but it looks like ****.

Oh well, the paint stuff:

I've ordered a nice airbrush pistol with some colors, those on the left are for the alien, those 'ecoline' colors on the right are for brushing on paper to get the airbrush feeling.

The pistol itself was even better looking as i thought, because it's some kind of new model. On the website the adjusting screw was on the edge of the back, without gold color. I've been brushing the whole saturday, flame's, stripes, dots, circle's, thunders etc. It's hard to learn, but painting the alien isn't that difficult as flames. (At least, i hope so)

OK, were back:

The idea is the same, but now with more straight lines, going from left to right instead of a random pattern. Both left and right are better in balance when we look at the shape and there is less clay between the acryl. It's drying now, and lets hope the clay holds on the acryl. When the clay is hard i will add details with my dremel.

Hopefully i can start painting and brushing soon. But i need some advice for that.

I'm thinking about that skin color I showed above, but that would might look too much like a human bod? A darker color, like green, grey or black, with some highlights would be better? Just like The Alien It's almost complete black. But my idea is to give all the details like veins, tubes, finger skin etc. a slightly different color.

ATX Mental Case

hey ferry!

i really like your alien! You´re doing a great job!!

me and my brother also have 1 alien project in the backhand which is paused at the moment (all those body parts are lying around.....like in a weird horror film) i think we will start finallizing it in the next month´s.

But i have one question, the open HDD in the Head? is it used for anything or just to decorate the head in some way?

The idea to use alufoil for modulating the single body parts is really good and i think a lot easier than using foam.....(like we did)

ATX Mental Case

This is great. I'll be interested to see how your airbrushing goes. I almost bought one a year ago for a completely different project, but didn't due to cost.
    m4gnum.com/tardis/ - Doctor Who inspired case

Quote Originally Posted by thechoozen View Post
    hey ferry!

i really like your alien! You´re doing a great job!!

me and my brother also have 1 alien project in the backhand which is paused at the moment (all those body parts are lying around.....like in a weird horror film) i think we will start finallizing it in the next month´s.

But i have one question, the open HDD in the Head? is it used for anything or just to decorate the head in some way?

The idea to use alufoil for modulating the single body parts is really good and i think a lot easier than using foam.....(like we did)
    Hi! Alien's are cool hehe, guess you have a nice theme/case for it as well?

The HDD is only for decoration, it's an old laptop disc, and already crashed before i opened it. There is no circuit board, only the platters and read/write heads.

I was quickly reading some books from my mom, about making gnomes and other clay models. Those were made with metal wire and foil. That was the base for my alien.
    Using foam would be impossible, because that would melt direct when backing the Sculpey clay @ 150c celcius. Off course you could use foam, when using self hardening materials. Note that foams gets affected by putty, strong glue, paint and other stuff.

Only 1 thing that could might give some trouble: Connecting all the body parts together with the self hardening clay. That clay is hard to stick on other materials. It's a bit elastic, but I'm petty sure that it would cause cracks when bending the arms too much. So when all the parts are connected i must be very careful and put the alien in a stable position.

This is great. I'll be interested to see how your airbrushing goes. I almost bought one a year ago for a completely different project, but didn't due to cost.
    Thanks, It was about 110€ for airbrush and paint. For a project like this it's worth the money, and i really feel like doing more with it. Brushing some flames on my bicycle for example. My girlfriend likes it too
    I should be able to paint the alien with small brushes, that was also the plan. But airbrushing will work much faster and easier, and "good tools are half the work" an old dutch sentence says.

BTW, spell check in firefox is very nice! Previously I've made plenty of mistakes, while i was thinking it was correctly spelled hehe

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Perhaps you all ready answered your question - but you don't need an airbrush compressor to run your airbrush.

If you are going to buy a compressor for it, however, I recomend getting one with at last a small air tank to keep the air flow consistent.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

This is looking absolutely great. Can't wait to see it finished.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Overclocked

wow there has been a lot of progress since i last visited and i am extremely suprised (in a good way). definatly not what i thought was going to happen with it. keep it up, i expect at least one more suprise like that before its finished ; )

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi