Thread: Windows 7 occasionally isn't booting up.

Fresh Paint

Default Windows 7 occasionally isn't booting up.

Hey all.

Got a bit of a problem with my gaming rig.
    When I turn it on, windows 7 won't boot up about 4 times out of 10.
    Once it starts properly all is good.
    I'm running a 250gb SSD as my boot drive and and I'm wondering if maybe it's giving up on me?

Not very good with the computer tech lingo so if you can help, please type slowly and like you're talking to an idiot.

Thank you.

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: Windows 7 occasionally isn't booting up.

Do you know what brand of SSD you have? Most manufactures have a software suite that will analyze the drive and tell you whether it's dying so if you know the brand, we can point you in the direction of the tool.

Another thing to check would be if there are any files in "C:\Windows\Minidump". If there are, they are Bluescreen logs from when your computer crashes and they might be able to point us in the direction of your problem.

The last suggestion I have off the top of my head, is to check all your power connections. If you have another known good power supply to swap in to test, you may be able to rule that out.
    TheMainMan

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Windows 7 occasionally isn't booting up.

Pretty sure it was Intel. Haven't really thought about it since I had it built a year and a half ago.
    My partner just took it to thle place where we got it built as they have a really good service department too.
    They had a quick look at it and said it was probably the SSD dying, they're having a better look at the moment and if it is they'll let me know.
    If so, I'll probably be replacing it with a Samsung 840 Evo 250Gb or possibly the 500Gb.