Thread: Paint question

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Paint question

I'm working on the paint on my current project and found an excellent product that I love, Rustoleum Hammered Gray. I've used the rattle can in the past in other colors but I found this in a quart and it actually works better with a brush than the spray can.

The only issue I have is the color, the gray is too light and bright, so to speak. It's almost silver in color, and color options are very limited in this specialized paint. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a top coat I could use that might darken it up, almost like a tinted clear coat.

I've already got a message in to Rick Maines, one of our resident paint experts but I thought I'd ask the group at large also.

I'm new at the whole paint aspect of this hobby and any help would be great. Thanks!
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Default Re: Paint question

I noticed that it comes in silver, gray, and black. You could probably just mix in some black to either the gray or silver to get the desired color.

Of course you realize it comes in COPPER as well

wink wink.. nod nod...

Ok.. I will quit with the copper...

Yes, I saw it comes in COPPER. Thanks. I may just compromise with you and go with the "Dark Bronze". I have a can of that coming from Amazon now to experiment with.

This stuff isn't like any other paint I've ever seen, it's thick and gooey and stringy and smells like something that should be weaponized so I didn't want to mix it with anything, but I hadn't thought of mixing it with another color of itself.

Adding some of the black to the gray may just do the trick, nice thinking.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Blue - did you get my response via facebook? Here's how that dry brush effect looked on some cheap dollar store shelves and picture frame.

I did, thanks very much! Those look awesome.

I've been doing some experimenting with some different paints and colors, I should have it narrowed down in the next couple of days.

Then I have to figure out how to knock down the sheen if it's too high. I've heard great things about Testors Dullcote, but that's an experiment for later.

Ok, another paint question. The Hammered paint that comes in quarts (and is applied with HVLP gun) is too glossy. The last thing I want to do it try to put something on top of it once it's done. Does anyone know of a flattening agent that can be added to the paint mix during thinning before application that will lower the gloss? I've read everything from gasoline to talc to actual commercial flattening agents but I'm hoping to hear directly from someone with some paint experience.

Rick?

Scuff it back with a gray scotch brite pad. That will put small scratches in the paint, and dull it up a little.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Try a black base coat of primer before spraying (or laying) down your primary coat? it ought to darken it up bunches!