Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
I visited ARUP in London when I was there last summer. It was a pretty sweet office.

I finally heard back from the Philly firm today. The offer was not nearly as good as the Salt Lake City offer, but we went with it anyway. My wife wants to be close to family. Too bad her family can't pay me several thousand a year to make up the difference between the offers.

In any case, we are packing and trying to get things ready to start driving Thursday. We don't have a place to live lined up, but I have a friend in Philly that might help and hopefully in the 4-5 days of driving we can make something happen.
I'd like to think first jobs are more about entry into the field, and experience over what they actually pay... plus a lot of the time "lowering paying" jobs give you a lot more leniency about making nooblet mistakes and such vs a prestigious firm.

and who knows, in a few years you can always re apply at your desired firm and see if they take the bait for what you think you're now worth... especially if your former firm has nothing but praise about your worth ethic and engineering prowess.

Also, Come help me figure out the requirements for supporting a 1 ton load in the loft i'm building LOL.

[edit] hey i've got pretty good grammar when i'm tipsy.