Thread: New build FINALLY finished, no video!!!

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default New build FINALLY finished, no video!!!

Welllllll, Imperium is finally to the point that I can flip the switch and see what happens.

It comes on fine, I can get into the BIOS but about 5 seconds after the thing comes on it loses the video signal. It does this with VGA, D-Sub or HDMI.

Never seen anything like it, anyone else have any ideas?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Default Re: New build FINALLY finished, no video!!!

Ok, I got it. Seems the GPU core on the 7970 has a metal ring around it for some reason, and while this ring may seem like it's the same height as the core or even a little lower, it's actually just a TINY bit higher. Since the water block I was using is bigger than the opening in that ring it was seating on that and not touching the GPU core. I couldn't even tell looking at it.

It was getting hot enough in 5 seconds to shut itself down.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Many years ago, I replaced a CPU thinking it was dead only to find out that my heatsink had lifted ever so slightly on one corner during a move. It's amazing how quickly chips can overheat and so nice that they have thermal protection. Glad to hear you got it sorted!
    TheMainMan

It really is amazing, you're right. This particular problem is evidently well-known to just about everyone but me:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=WC-502-EK

The height difference here turned out to be .2mm. I had some .5mm copper sheet from a previous project. Tin snips, a file and some fine sandpaper and I had a shim. The card is back on water and running like a champ now.

It got that hot that quickly it's pretty insane how much difference the heatsync makes glad you didn't trash anything

Crazy! Nice to see you got it figured out.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    It really is amazing, you're right. This particular problem is evidently well-known to just about everyone but me:
    Funny, That seems to always be the problem for me too.

I've learned to check the Faq's these days ( u__u)

[edit] Does it have memory coolers as well? I might check the contact with those too if the card has it. The memory sink on my 7870 was askew towards the back enough to warrant some copper shims and thermal paste (0_ o )