Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Project XFCN (military style)

Overclocked

Default Re: Project XFCN (military style)

Back again with a quick little update, this time with the front and tubing work done, as you saw the front of the case was changed up a bit, I have also after adding a coat of gloss black, used silver to give it a scratched metal feel to it.

I decided to cover the res, with piece of acrylic too, but used a piece with 50% less ting than the lower section. (Ignore the part under the acrylic at the top, this was just weighed down to insure the CDrom bay cover didn’t raise up while the top acrylic was drying and knock it out of place) I also as with the bottom panel added some scratches to the acrylic which will be filled with silver as with bottom piece, I am happy with the front to give that worn look. Moving on to the Primochill PETG tubing, it was time to measure and cut some.

Again thanks to Dremel for this puppy, it became very useful during this build, it made cutting the pipes straight easy as pie, also the blades are really thing so you get a nice thin cut.

Now I would love to say this was easy due to the acrylic bender from Primochill, but being my first time using this tubing it was not, I wasted two and a half meters of the stuff before I sussed it out!! Then when done I changed one pipe I made, simply because I did not like the angle of it, so if your going to do this for the first time, I would say get a couple of tubes and practice loads of different bends with them, just to get the hang of it.

The plus side to all this was the acrylic bender, I imagine my waste would have been a lot more without it. Big word of advice though, is get the Primochill kit, it comes with some gloves and a tube to put inside the tube to stop it from collapsing in, it also comes with a little tube of lube to help slide it in… (no pron puns please). Anyway here is what I got up to with it.

I had made the fill port section too, but cannot fit it until the top panel gets back from paint, clear was used for the cpu tubes and black for the return from radiator tubes and drain port.

Done, now to jazz it up a little and get all the cammo vinyl segments out and start random placing each colour piece out to match the other cammo pieces in the case.

I like the result so time to add it to the other black pipes.

Very happy with the way it looks, the only change I done was the CPU to radiator pipe, now to move on and see how it looks with a bit of lighting inside.

Setup for lighting test will just involve putting the PSU and memory in, just to see how it looks.

Also you may have noticed the change of Primochill logo on the Flow meter to gold, this was to match the gold and black power cables I had chosen. (due to the fact the logos on reverse side and roof will be gold and I just wanted to put a bit of a different colour in there).

In the next update I will be moving on to the back, and also hopefully installing panels ready ti flush, fill and drain the water loop for install, I should also have some pictures of the painted panels to add.

Overclocked

Sorry for the lack of updates, I was in a mad rush to get the rig almost fully complete to be displayed at MCM London (comicon) at the weekend, so here are a few pictures, please ignore the quality as I will be doing a proper photo shoot once it gets back to me.

As you can see from the picture above, I added camo to the fill port as well, I wanted to ensure all the black pipes had it so it was a no brainer really, I know some won’t like it but I do, let’s put some power into this puppy shall we.

I am happy with the way the lighting has come out and extremely happy I somehow managed to fit a load of cabling behind the motherboard tray (no easy task really due to the fact there is only a 10mm gap behind there). Let’s put the side panels on and take a look

I love the way it came out in the end and as mentioned will get a proper photo shoot done to ensure you guys see it in its proper glory. Until then here are a few pictures from the show.

I had to wait ages, just to get these few pictures in, and I mean ages, had to leave and come back around lunch time to get these as this is how it looked like most of the day.

Gave me a good proud moment listening to the people chatting about it, although I was worried the dino would nick it as I mean who wants to fight a dino I don’t anyway should have the proper photos for you guys in the not too distant future.

Small video of the XFCN (external function) or trigger power switch

Overclocked

Ok back now having finally got round to doing some proper pics, I liked this mod in many ways especially having the trigger of the MP5 being the actual power switch and thus the name XFCN, which if I had not said it a lot already means external function in military speak.. Anyway enjoy the pictures folks.

Overall, it’s a bit overkill on something’s, but I still love the concept, the main point of this rig was to draw a crowd in and it seems to have done that effortlessly at comicon (MCM London).

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Another solid build! Your work is always impressive. +rep
    TheMainMan

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Another solid build! Your work is always impressive. +rep
    Thanks for your kind words.. onto the next project now for sim racing... A Formula 1 themed level 10 titanium.