Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project XFCN (military style)

Default Re: Project XFCN (military style)

Saltwater etching. Damn.

I was inspired enough to procure books about electrochemical plating and etching processes from the library! Now I just need some chemicals and electricity ... and, uh, something cool to etch.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Saltwater etching. Damn.

I was inspired enough to procure books about electrochemical plating and etching processes from the library! Now I just need some chemicals and electricity ... and, uh, something cool to etch.
    you do not need any Chemicals, just some salt water when using electricity for metals.

Overclocked

So having decided on urban camo (red, black, grey and white) I decided to keep the red and black theme going on through the case, so first point of call is the front panel.

I wanted to redo the front XFX to tie in more with the MP5, so time to cut out the XFX on the front.

After I cut this, I had to make a small bit of red acrylic to fit inside to be able to use some vinyl to ensure the logo pops out.

Simple so far, so a quick visit to my plotter and for the custom logo cut out left me with this.

Now to test the placement and fitting with the vinyl as it was pretty tight without it.

Next I had to mask up the dark smoke acrylic for the cover, so that it would be only visible with light from behind.

I had to do this as I did not want any light to pass through anything but were I had placed the logo piece. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of what I am aiming for.

He he before any of you point it out, the XFCN is still visible, it’s just the angle I had to take the photos off to capture the light behind the panel, I actually love the way it came out to be honest, but I am still in a debate on if I should set the front panel up so that the MP5 silhouettes are only lit by HDD activity, not sure yet. I’ll have to wait to see how it looks when I get to that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie123 View Post
    Having a plotter to cut out the stencils from vinyl helps a lot
    I second that! Looks like it's off to a good start.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    I second that! Looks like it's off to a good start.
    Thats how i done the knife, cut the stencil out, placed it over the knife, got a lump of 2x1 wood, put a makeup cotton wall pad to the bottom, secured with elastic, then connected up the one connector (from tattoo powersupply to knife, one to cotton on wood) then dipped the cotton pad in salt water and pressed down on vinyl stencil and if by magic...

Overclocked

So here is what turned up on here

Yes that is 2 Heckler & Koch boxes from Umarex, time to open these puppies up.

Although I only need the MP5 for now to mock up on the roof, here is a couple of images of them out of the packaging.

The MP5 replica we have is quite amazing to be honest and I supposed it should be as Umarex own the licence to produce one to one copies of Heckler and Koch products, the detail on this is superb and the build quality just as good too.

The MP7, just like the MP5 is really detailed, this is also a one to one clone and very well made, this is mostly made from a composite though, but I do have to say I think this has a nice feel to it and my personal fav out of the two I received. I will add some more detailed pictures later so you guys can see how nice they are close up, but for now, I am going to use the mp5 to mock up the roof mount for it.

So first up was placing the gun into position and then marking up a few mount holes to cut. I also had to think that I still wanted access to the audio sockets on the front of the case as well as 1 or 2 of the USB ports, so a slight angle was chosen to ensure this was possible.

Of course, being double skinned I had to remove the top and make the drill holes through the metal too. (Hoping my measurements are correct ).

Phew, with the bolts in place I had done it just right, as you can see I now have the access to one USB port and both the audio ones, I had to also mock up some supports so that it was not resting on the roof, I also had to make sure these would be sturdy and have enough clearance to allow a motherboard cable to run through them so I could wire the trigger. This is what I came up with.

I decided to use a steel inner, with an acrylic outer tube, just to give the arch more stability, I still have to sand more of the acrylic tube down though as it is putting a bit of pressure on the top panel and causing a light curve as you can see.

As you can see the MP5 is now sitting above the roof, so far so good, let me move onto the motherboard power wire.

Eureka, now I have the wire able to route up into part of the MP5 I am beginning to see the light, I do have to say that was the hardest part of wiring up the trigger to be the powers witch as wiring the gearbox of a AEG has the wires hanging out of it already, I only have to connect the two going to the motor and wire this cable to the connectors on the front of the gearbox, I thought that was me done for the day though until I spent and age looking at the front panel, and thinking..

Well I was not happy with it, so I am going to have to redo it again, what I am going to do is cut the slats down as I don’t like the fact the tint panel is sticking out and from the side you can see the grooves, It is just not right at all!. More on that to come later.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

if you pulled the trigger on top to start the computer.. .. . .. . . . .

I'd love you forever.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    if you pulled the trigger on top to start the computer.. .. . .. . . . .

I'd love you forever.
    Then declare your undying love now

Overclocked

Small update, misses started the etching for the window, I thought I would take a shot just at the start so you guys can appreciate the work going into it.

As you can see it is mainly all dotting which is a long process, but the best way to get shading and detail.

Overclocked

so rewired the MP5 to act as a power switch and tested it

one job down many to go