Thread: Mountain Mods U2-UFO case review

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Mountain Mods U2-UFO case review

So I'm working on my new gaming machine. It's a ritual I partake on every four years or so. My current rig is still rocking a 2600K and pretty loaded up for the spec. Anyway the new i7-5960X Intel 8 core was just released and I knew I had to have it.

My old case is great, but I've always loved the cases that Mountain Mods and Case-labs has to offer. After weeks of deliberation, I went with the Mountain Mods U2-UFO. I used their configurator (http://www.mountainmods.com/CYO_pick...dke8l5h26a6)to build the exact case I wanted.

The process of choosing what I wanted was made easier because as you change what panels you want, the picture changed along with it. You immediately got to see what the panel you wanted looked like on the case.

This was a cool feature, but there was a glaring problem in the picture that I didn't notice till I got the case in front of me. The case I chose and as it is reviewed was $414 before shipping.

First off, when the case arrived it came in a really thin box and I never considered that the case would come completely unassembled. It was very well packaged and everything was wrapped in multiple layers of plastic. Easy to give their packing an A+. Once I got the multiple pieces in front of me I discovered the first annoyance, ABSOLUTELY NO INSTRUCTIONS!

I did a little searching online and found this: http://www.mountainmods.com/HyperModular.pdf

It's not exactly what I bought , but it had enough of the same parts as mine that it did help me build it. I really shouldn't have to search the web to build a case that I spent over $400 on, it should be in the box with the case.

In a way it was nice to quickly find all the problems right away, and there were a few really annoying ones. First off, was one of the main reasons I went with this exact case, the horizontal motherboard tray.

It had a piece of aluminum, that extends the whole length of the case and sits under the motherboard tray, holding it up. It makes sure that the motherboard tray doesn't sag under the weight of the motherboard.

This is where it gets extremely frustrating. The aluminum piece is too big. So big that it extends from one panel to the next and blocks the fan holes on both sides of the case!

I tried spinning it in a few different directions, but it didn't make a difference. No matter what, it was going to block my fans. If I turned it upside down then it would hold the tray like a hammock and block my windows instead! How the hell did Mountain Mods not see this glaring problem?

And then I noticed that it's even in the example photo (as shown above) from their site:

Needless to say, I had to cut the tray in half to make it still hold the motherboard tray, but to not block my fans.

The next major annoyance was how cheap the materials really are. The paint chipped on the panel as soon as I turned it on it's side to secure the motherboard support to the bottom.

Then I realized that the stupid plexi was already scratched too! In fact, I can scratch it with my damn fingernail!!

The case comes with wheels, but what if I plan on putting it on my desk? I really don't want it to roll off my desk. What's the solution provided by Mountain Mods? Nothing! No optional case feet, just wheels. Seriously, rubber feet are less than $10.

BTW, I paid over $400 for this.......

Then there are these:

WTF are they?

Oh, apparently you're supposed to use them for your 3.5 inch hard drives!

There's even holes in the bracket so you can mount it to one of the back of the 120mm fans.

They seem awfully convenient, but then I realize, I don't use mechanical hard drives. I have to use 2.5 to 3.5 adapters! There are $40 cases out there that come with a few 2.5 inch mounts, but not my $400+ case!

One last annoyance to list: The power button. You get two identical power buttons, power and reset.

I hate that they are not already wired for me. With a complete lack of instructions, I have no idea how to wire them either.

Luckily I am still a modder, I can fix these things, but many people who buy these cases cannot. So Mountain Mods really needs to figure this all out. The price of this case is outrageous, especially with this many problems.

If you're like me and comfortable with modding, then by all means go ahead, buy one and fix one. Or just buy something cheaper. Trust me, you'll be so happy you did.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: Mountain Mods U2-UFO case review

I'm looking to start designing my own cases out of acrylic. Seeing how these are put together, and where the potential problems are is very helpful to me. Thank you for your insight. Anything else you can provide will also be helpful.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Acrylic has a lot of static issues
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Yes, but that's not entirely my concern. I also have some nice finishes I can do that minimize fingerprints and dirt buildup.

Any other build/fitment issues you've found with the case?
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

All told, though, it's a real purty case with lotsa juicy uber-PC potential. I like your taste, sir.

Agreed, $400+ is not very good at all, especially since the product possesses minor flaws (regardless of the manufacturer's fine packaging). I think I would rather DIY my own or buy something outrageous at NCIX for that price, but that's just my opinion.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Damn man that does not sound good it's a nice looking case and all but for the money you would expect it to not have so many annoyances