Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend's computer: "Unit 13"

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Girlfriend's computer: "Unit 13"

Still left to be done, so we're on track:

Body filler work, relocation of ports and other plastic/bondo work on front panel.
    create (likely aluminium) bezel for power/reset switches, to be located on front panel still, but elsewhere.
    Paint front panel copper to match the rest of the case
    top vents
    paint top of case copper so the edges match as well
    begin doing "walter robotics" and calvacadium logos, likely out of styrene
    drill holes for, sand, stain and clear coat side panel wood accents.
    develop the "still currently secret" side panel ****-up fix (possible trip to the hobby shop is in order... shhh)

plus whatever other plans and whims there is left floating around in her head, or suggestions we hear online that she likes.

then it's just a matter of the easy bit, AKA building the actual computer itself. Hardware still required: all of it.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Well life got a little bit in the way, but we're back.

Girlfriend got strep throat and stayed home two weeks back, last weekend we decided to just be lazy and do nothing, but this weekend we got a little more work done.

Not a huge update and not a lot of pictures.

We got the side panel wood bits filed to fit, so they would sit nice and flush against the side of the case. Then took them outside and put some holes in 'em:

left side, holes drilled and bolts in it.

right side, holes drilled and bolts in it.

Laying down stain.

The girlfriend also put the second coat of polyurethane on the top panel, which I realized may not have been a great idea in case the holesaw damages it at all buuuuut, well, it's done so we'll see how it goes.

Some point during the week I am going to hit the hardware store and pick up the holesaw for the top, then I can get the fans situated, as well as more bolts (we miscalculated, I think), nuts, and more star washers.

As we're nearing the end of the work on the case itself, it's time to start looking at working on the front panel, as well as some of the more artistic details. Stay tuned, there's more to come.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Looks good so far. It's nice to see a new mod in progress.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    Looks good so far. It's nice to see a new mod in progress.
    Thanks man! It's nice to be working on a mod, and one as involved as this. Plus it's nice to have something to do with the girlfriend that's fairly inexpensive all told, I'm out maybe $30 so far and she's out around $60, most of which was up front for materials and it's just been work so far.

Progress has been a little slow but it's mostly just smaller stuff now, with the exception of the front panel, all that's really left is finishing little details.

We did a little work yesterday, I only got one picture though.

Drilled out the holes in the top of the case for the fans:

two things: One: I am really happy that the wood didn't blow out when it was drilled. Two: wood holesaw + metal case = nope.

I'm gonna have to go back and clean up the holes on the case, probably with my dremel.

We also go the 80mm fans at least roughly mounted. Holes for the screws are under the wood panel so you don't see them. Today I may be able to get the exhaust vents cut to the right angle and ready for paint. I also may go to the hardware store and pick up more bolts, depending on how my back feels.

Okay so it's been a little bit since an update. Especially with the cold weather coming up we've not been getting a whole hell of a lot done on the case, but a few little things here and there. I'll try to recap as best as possible.

I apologize in advance as most of these pictures are crap. Hopefully when I get my new phone they will be much improved!

Remember how I said I ****ed up the cut, and the wood was supposed to be right up against the bevel? This was my girlfriend's solution -- glue gears in the space there to make it seem like an intentional effect. I think it looks good, and she did both sides.

And to that tune, I came up with this idea: use the leftover gears to embellish the front of the case as well.

After my last post, I plugged in the 80mm fans and this is how bright it was with the silver interior. Those two 80mm fans alone are probably sufficient, but once there's more components in there, we'll see. This sucker is gonna be BRIGHT.

Out of focus picture showing the two 80s.

bright bright

Desired effect for the vent: blue glow.

Then today I did/am doing a little work too.

Start off by painting a few more washers

then cut down the bolts so you can mount the side panel. I got a picture of me cutting a bolt but it's a bad picture and not that interesting.

So here she is, side panels mounted.

Other side too, but waiting on three more bolts.

With any luck today those washers will dry plenty so I can go and cut the rest of the bolts to length, plus I need to cut one of the 80mm fans because it interferes with the motherboard. Once that's done, we're done with the case and side panels (for now) and it's on to the front panel, with more bondo, metalwork and wiring to be done!

Stay tuned, and thanks for reading!

I'd have actually stuck the gears inside that front panel, let them be seen when it lights up behind. Love the solution for the incorrect cut though. Genius level there.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

There's already another mesh under there and the gears are fairly small that the details would be lost that way.

Got the gears glued to the outside of the mesh today, and bondo'd over the power button. We're getting some stuff done this weekend, there'll be an update likely tomorrow.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Omega,

Looking good!

In the future if you want to hole saw metal (steel, aluminum,etc) look for bi-metal hole saws. You don't have to pay top dollar (Harbor Freight is your friend here) Once your through the wood and the metal is marked. Remove the wood and apply lube liberally as you finish drilling the hole in the sheet metal. Look up Boelube sticks. It's a wax based biodegradable lube. it's pretty inexpensive and works great. I use it on drills, taps, saws...pretty much anything that cuts metal.

The difference between an amateur and a professional is the pro knows how to cover up their mistakes!

CBB

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob View Post
    The difference between an amateur and a professional is the pro knows how to cover up their mistakes!

CBB
    We were in a hurry to get 'er done, and guess what: It's going to be cleverly hidden when all is said and done.

Got a new phone today, so I decided to take some pictures:

Gears on the front.

Full shot

Got some bondo where the power button normally goes, just need to sand it

And a nice artsy shot of the side to better show the detail.

The "Holy **** it's been an entire two months since an update" thread.

Obviously the holiday season is hectic, combined with cold/windy/rainy weather means our motivation to do things was basically zero.

One of the few nice days we had together was spent cleaning and fixing a few minor things on our cars.

But anywho, this weekend we made some progress.

Started by spraying areas of the front panel black to hide the pink bondo.

then the girlfriend laid down the copper.

We didn't let the block undercoat cure long enough. The good news is the only bit that will be visible is the little bit between the drive bays and the lower mesh.

Getting good coverage.

Mounted to the case, it looks infinitely more cohesive now.

The mesh helps break up the big swathe of copper and with some more accent pieces should look nice.

Sadly my filler job wasn't the best, but it's not super bad either. Oh well.

The next step though.... distressing.

We're going to take the wood panels off, attack the visible areas with random stabbings of sandpapers and rocks, and then dust on flat black and flat brown spray paint to give it an aged, dirty, damaged look.

We also ordered the EL wire and have been discussing what to do about the side window and other details.

Stay tuned, more *is* on the way!