Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghostwheel

Default Re: Ghostwheel

Operating System arrived, neither UPS or NCIX know where
    My motherboard is.... I am a sad panda.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

That's terrible Hopefully one or both of them figure it out for you.
    TheMainMan

Good news! My motherboard finally arrived today, in fact I'm posting from the new machine right now while updates install.

I'm still waiting on my capture card (I'll be streaming from the main rig through this one, and when not streaming using it for video encoding, rendering, etc).

I can't believe how quiet the machine is, and how fast. Right now I'm only running a single EVO, wanted to keep it simple until I had everything working. So, this weekend I'll be working on getting this rig running right. Next week I'll show off some numbers, I'm pretty confident it'll actually work just fine as a gaming machine until I build the big boy. I also intend to write a thorough review of this case and probably a few other parts I've picked up. So, keep a weathered eye on the horizon.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

The motherboard finally arrived on Friday, it wasn't shipped until Thursday apparently, and no response as to "why it was shipped a week after the other part of my order was shipped". Or why I was told it was shipped at the same time previously.

*sigh*

Anyhow, with basically everything just waiting for the board, I figured this would go pretty quick and easy. Here's the board with it's 212 EVO cooler, since this is my encoding/secondary rig it will not be visible generally. So, I decided to throw a Noctua fan I salvaged from my previous machine on the cooler.

Then it's fingers crossed time, I nearly burned the thing to the ground when the fans started up and the screen stayed dark. Then I realized the monitor was on a separate power strip, that was turned off.

Here's how it looked at that point, I hadn't finished wiring yet, only had 1 SSD and none of the HDDs hooked up. Also had to hook up the lights and start tucking and tying cables.

Did I mention I really had to play with that fan to get it sitting just right?

Here she is all buttoned up on her new home (this is a Parsons end table from Wal Mart, cheap and the perfect size for two of the cases).

Someone had asked me, I was curious myself the power indicator on the black/red case is indeed red.

Better view of the internals before the glass is scratched to hell and back.

But what about when it gets dark? That's when she truly shines...

Some quick thoughts, I'm absolutely in love with this case now. However, it's going to be a tight fit pretty much no matter what you put in it. Some forethought and restraint can go a long way toward making this thing go together smoothly. For example, route absolutely all of the wires before putting in the power supply. I'll be test benching the main rig before installing it in the case for that very reason. The Cooler Master 212 EVO fits, barely. And on this motherboard the ram in slot 1 will interfere with this cooler, so food for thought if you're looking at something similar (2/4 slots are the recommended config for a 2 dimm config by MSI thankfully).

Additionally, I have to give it up for the fans. Be Quiet came highly recommended and they didn't disappoint, in fact my only complaint is that they're TOO quiet. So far, while running World of Warcraft on default settings I haven't gone over 45% speed on the fans, staying at 25C across all cores.

I'm running a few tests and configuring some software still, but this week I plan to start clocking this thing to see how we did on the Silicon lottery. So far though, no complaints.
    The Ghostwheel Project

I'm happy to say I did well, I'm clocked at 4.6 on the processor while retaining the 25C and fans staying under 50% consistently. Also, I now have a better idea as far as clearances go, this is important.

You will notice that the way I've oriented the PC is on a stand with the window facing out. My plan is to create a sculpture that will be attached to the red plate that is used to route wiring behind the motherboard tray. I'm tinkering with the idea of adding a motion sensitive servo skull (if you're familiar with Warhammer 40k, think servitors, basically). The idea is to have a skull mounted on a servo with a motion sensor, when someone walks by the skull will follow them. This will be controlled by a Raspberry Pi inside the case (hidden in back).

I wanted to do something special, the trick is to keep this from inhibitting air flow. However, I'm seriously considering an all in one cooler like the NZXT Kraken for the main rig to get better overclocking potential. We'll see though. Still very much in the planning stage, but I'm excited.
    The Ghostwheel Project

Nice work man!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I had to go back and re-read your posts a few times before I understood what you're planning with the skull. Now that I get it though, that sounds pretty cool but creepy for anyone walking by. Please make the eyes glow when it moves.
    TheMainMan

Thanks, yes TheMainMan I'll be doing that for sure. One eye will glow with a red LED that will be triggered by the motion sensor. The motion sensor itself will actually be in the other eye.

Also, apologies for the images disappearing. I'm migrating things to a new host (just deleted my 11 year old Photobucket account) while I consolidate things. I'll fix the broken image links as soon as I have everything moved to it's new home.
    The Ghostwheel Project

All the photos are missing could you re up them please?

But from what i have read so far sounds really cool!

Images have been moved to their new home, I have some plotting to do before I get to work on the servo for the main case. I'll probably get the case in a couple of weeks and get cracking.
    The Ghostwheel Project