Thread: Streaming to Twitch with a File Server/NAS

Default Streaming to Twitch with a File Server/NAS

Hi guys, I'm working on a bit of a network upgrade here at home and one of the projects I want to tackle is streaming to Twitch when I'm gaming, originally I had intended on using a Raspberry pi as a cheap option, however it doesn't look like that's possible since I found a deal on a pair of ATI cards (failed bitcoin miner made me an offer I couldn't refuse). So now, here I am with 2 systems running MSI R9 290s and apparently I need an NVIDIA chip to stream to the Pi.

So, since my wife has asked me previously to build a home server to store movies on, I now wonder if I can't just use this as a dual purpose streaming box. Streaming directly to devices in the home, or to Twitch as necessary, or all of the above if need be. Thought I'd post here and see if anyone has any advice for me. Our toddler has reached the age where letting him near the Disney Blue Rays is an expensive proposition, and I'd personally prefer to use something like Plex for our media library anyway for sheer convenience. And if I can stream to Twitch while I'm at it, that will be a huge bonus.

So, I'm looking for first: is this feasible? Second: do you have software/hardware suggestions? Also, any cases you'd recommend for storing multiple drives? Seems cases these days don't have nearly enough space for the old HDD as they used to, and I'm seriously thinking of 6 or more in this server with redundancy.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Default Re: Streaming to Twitch with a File Server/NAS

Not sure about the Twitch streaming, but I do know of a fairly inexpensive chassis that will hold 12 drives. I use this one at home:

http://abcresellers.com/store/product221.html

There is a cheaper place to get it (If I remember right I paid $75 delivered) and I will try to find it now.

Just found this option too (probably not cheap):

http://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/genesis/
    Last edited by Airbozo; 05-28-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

What form-factor are you thinking for the case?

My personal proclivities tend to the tiny end of the spectrum, so here's some options from that end.

LIAN LI PC-Q25B miniITX Tower : 7x3.5" internal

Fractal Design Node 304 miniITX cube-ish : 6x3.5" internal
    I actually have this one and quite like it (though I'm planning on replacing it soon; just no need for it anymore). Because of how the drives are laid out, you can actually comfortably fit 6x3.5" + 2x2.5" inside it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Some of the best info on high drive capacity cases can be found on the forums of NAS distros such as unRaid, FreeNAS, and NAS4Free. Some of the machines people build on those sites are downright insane.

My personal choice was a Xigmatek Gigas for my server build but I wouldn't recommend that case after having built a system in it. I've currently have 7x 3.5 drives, one 2.5 SSD, and a DVD drive in it. It's a serious pain to service however.

If I were building now, I would use a Fractal Design Node 804 as it takes a ton of drives and I loved the last build I did in a Fractal case. They make really intelligently designed cases.

As for Twitch, that's well out of my depth
    TheMainMan

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Ah yeah, I love the Node 804. I remember running across that a while ago when I was contemplating a uATX build. Very nice combination of features in a fairly small case.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

The Node looks like the winner, just gotta find the rest of the parts for it now.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::