Thread: Racing like it's 1982! (^-^)

Default Racing like it's 1982! (^-^)

I guess this is one for emulation. Which treasured racing gaming experiences, cabinet, console or PC, can you recall from the pre Gran Turismo days?

B&J Atari VCS

Bump N' Jump Firebird

Namco Rally-X

Vigilante 8 2nd Offense

Default Re: Racing like it's 1982! (^-^)

OK, a littel older than the '80's, but my first racing game experience:

Night Driver!

"...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

The first I played, I really do not know. It was some generic DOS racing game...all I remember was a red car and green grass on either side of the track. My dad had it on the computer in his classroom, and sometimes when I would visit him when he was working late I got to play it.

The first I owned, I'm gonna have to go the other direction than Airbozo..

The Need for Speed SE : 1996

Though, that being said, I think I got it in ~2000...bargain bin at Staples! Woo!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Hell, I was driving a disgusting little car called a "Cricket" back in 1982. Then I "upgraded" to an even junkier (but still mostly self-powered) VW Bug which somehow survived WWII. Then a repulsive junky Volvo station wagon thing (which my friends mockingly referred to as the rotten banana, due to its urine-yellow paint and cheap fake wood trim). The last was the worst, speedo was actually a red piece of plastic which moved sideways along a dimly calibrated gauge, and the 4-speed stick required some bizarrely illogical and painful convolutions to switch through gears. Although the banana did come with FM radio, lol, amazing. And you could usually manage to roll the windows back up if you were faster than gravity.

Driving games/simulators of the 1980s were, for me, nothing but pure bliss and joy when compared to real driving.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

I got obsessed, and very very good at Moto Racer. It's still one of those racing games that just feels good to play. It came out right around the same time and the first Gran Turismo.

Mario Kart 64 was my game. My gf at the time was the best player in her house, but she never beat me. I think that made her mad.