Thread: How to Delete MpSigStub.exe?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default How to Delete MpSigStub.exe?

Recently, a folder appeared on my hard drive, without me having done anything to make it appear. Its name is a random string of letters and numbers that I shall not bother to memorize, but it contains a single file, called MPSigStub.exe. As far as I can tell, that file has no purpose, but I cannot delete it, even when I use a file shredding program, which greatly bothers me. The file itself is not harming my computer, but it still is annoying, and I do not wish to keep a file that serves no purpose, so is there any way to delete it from my computer? What advice can anyone here offer? Thank you very much.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: How to Delete MpSigStub.exe?

That is a file used by the Windows updater service.

It can be deleted, but you must first use the security panel to give yourself permission.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2cdda3e?auth=1
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

When I failed to delete the file by right-clicking on it, I simply dragged it to the recycle bin, and that, amazingly, worked. I am not certain why that was any different, but I am glad that it succeeded.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

I routinely install a Take Ownership reghack on WinV/7/8/X platforms. It let's you do whatever you want with any files you want, regardless what Microsoft or the OS stubbornly prefers. The downside, of course, is that you can unintentionally change/delete/move something critical and break OS functionality (be careful when using Take Ownership on OS folder trees!) - but mpsigstub.exe is a nonessential chunk of bloat which can be safely removed.

Install Take Ownership, right-click on the offending file to actually Take Ownership, then happily delete without the slightest peep of protest from Windows. A restart may be needed to terminate a protected process already running in memory.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.