Thread: Lots of BIG NEWS!

Default Lots of BIG NEWS!

So, big updates for the Stilgar family.

1) We're buying a house!
    We've been house hunting for almost a year. We were searching for a duplex so we could live in half and rent out the other, but everything in Philly is either weird or too expensive . . . or in the ghetto. We finally found a place and put in a silly low offer. The offer was accepted (it's the lowest price a house has sold for in this neighborhood since 1996) and now we're moving forward. It'll need $10-15k in work, but even after that we could probably sell for a $30k profit. Not bad.

2) We're getting a new car!
    About 15 minutes after our house offer got accepted I was loading my daughter into her car seat when some dummy drove into the open door I was standing in. We weren't hurt, but our car has 230,000+ miles and this is enough to push it into the grave. Once the insurance settles we will take the money and some of our own and buy a new car . . . well, new to us. Probably something with half the miles and five years newer. But still new to us.

3) I got a 980Ti! I'm really excited for this. It's the first top tier video card I've ever owned. I now know I'll be ready for the HTC Vive when it releases.

Default Re: Lots of BIG NEWS!

Loads of awesome news right there.

Congrats on all fronts

WWMD- What Would MacGyver Do? Mark_Hardware's Avatar

awesome man, Congrats!
    My name is Mark Hardware, and I approved this message.

Project; Mark1
    (On hold until......)

First.. I'm so glad no one was injured on the car mishap. That sounds pretty darn scary, and very fortunate that it didn't go bad. Good luck in your car search, I know how fun and frustrating that can be!

Second. Woohoo! Congrats on the house! That sounds like an awesome deal!

And Lastly... Jelly on the 980Ti! I have been thinking about one, I could probably afford one, but my brain just has a hard time clicking the "Checkout" button, which is funny since it has absolutely NO problem clicking the "Add to Cart" button!
    I have been mulling over building a nice mITX system, but so far I have just been sticking with the 970, but maybe we will see what happens after Christmas.

Thanks, everyone.

The inspection was yesterday. No big issues were found so we're moving forward with the house. Fixing it up will be my first worklog here in a long time.

We'll get a new car in January. I'll do some online shopping to see what's the best used car in my price range. I'll buy that based on the numbers. We'll pay cash.

I'd love to build an mITX system so I could take it into the office easily to show off the HTC Vive once it's out. Official word is still, "consumer release by the end of the year," but that all from HTC. There's some rumor mill stuff about Dec 8-12th with some solid evidence to back it up, but it's still not official.

So things are still good.