Thread: What is So Good Abut USB Type-C?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default What is So Good About USB Type-C?

Recently, I have been hearing about how the new USB type-C connector shall become the new interface for virtually all electronic devices, but I fail to see what is so great about it. After all, there are already USB type-A, USB type-B, USB mini, and USB micro connectors, although USB mini has largely been phased out in favor of USB micro. Is not USB type-C yet another standard in a market that already has plenty of standards? I shall refer you to this XKCD strip, which I believe is an accurate (if satirical) representation of the situation.

In my mind, given that USB type-A is by far the most common type of USB connector (or any connector, for that matter) at the present time, why not remain focused on it, rather than create another variation of it? Of, if the main advantage of USB type-C is is small size, why not focus on USB micro, instead, as that is a standard that has already established itself for numerous devices? What does everyone else say about this?

Also, I have noticed that USB type-C connectors are perfectly symmetrical, unlike most other connectors, which are asymmetrical to prevent improper insertion, so how does USB type-C prevent that?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: What is So Good Abut USB Type-C?

USB Type-C is deliberately designed to allow insertion in either orientation.

This is an actual improvement, yay, I can't count how many times I've attempted to plug USB connectors in backwards, especially when reaching around the back of a PC chassis. Although you'd think some sort of physically-keyed or L-shaped USB connector would work better and still allow backward compatibility with all existing USB devices.

I don't even think of Type-C as true USB, it's physically incompatible with USB, to my mind it violates the entire philosophy of *universal* interface connectivity, it'll create forks in the USB standards, and it'll eventually force people to upgrade all their old USB hardware. A stupid choice, really, Type-A connectors can already support USB 3.x speeds and - with upgraded electricals and serial logic - could easily support insane bandwidths on future USB standards while retaining full pin compatibility with previous USB standards. Type-C might as well be as proprietary as an iPhone or Sony connector, it's called "USB", it's not truly USB. Just my opinion.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Yes, I understand that a reversible connector is a very nice trait, but is that trait alone worth phasing out the popular and ubiquitous USB type-A in favor of a completely new connector?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Tube televisions and rear projection big screens were once popular and ubiquitous as well. But things change when technology advances. One thing to keep in mind here is that type C is a connector. Its not necessarily tied directly to all things USB. The first major difference is it will have 24 pins in it. Compared to 4 pins for the original USB connectors and 9 for the later USB 3 connectors. With the additional connections and differential pair it's prepped to handle up to 20Gb/sec transfer rates. In addition to the increased data pairs, there will be data paths for display data as well, and to top it off it will support in excess of 60W power handling. So with all of that the type C connector will be able to be used for data transfers, video output, and device charging capabilities not limited to just phones and tablets, but for laptops as well. No need for additional power ports, or say hdmi ports. This one connector will be able to handle it all. Also simplifies the need for different types of cables when it comes, connecting power bricks, monitors, etc etc. So it pretty poised to be fairly universal, at least until the next thing comes out.