Thread: The Legend of Zelda: the 30th Anniversary

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default The Legend of Zelda: the 30th Anniversary

This year shall mark the 30th anniversary of the Legend of Zelda franchise, one of Nintendo’s best-selling, longest-running, and best-known franchises (probably second only to the Mario franchise), so I wonder what shall be done to commemorate that anniversary. Given that Nintendo made a great deal over Mario’s 30th anniversary (which is fully understandable) and is currently placing a great focus on Pokémon’s 20th anniversary, I fully expect them to celebrate this momentous milestone with grandeur and fanfare, as well.

What does everyone else say about this? How shall Nintendo celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: the 30th Anniversary

I don't know how they'll celebrate, but it's crazy to think it's been that long. I first beat Zelda with an emulator on PC. I loved that I could use save states to try a dungeon over and over again. It made the game much less punishing and fun to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    I don't know how they'll celebrate, but it's crazy to think it's been that long. I first beat Zelda with an emulator on PC. I loved that I could use save states to try a dungeon over and over again. It made the game much less punishing and fun to explore.
    I do not like to admit this, but I, amazingly, have not yet played the original Legend of Zelda game at the time of this thread, a condition that I soon hope to remedy, and, when I play it, I shall also use an emulator on my computer, since the game has no internal save feature.

On that subject, why was the original game never ported to the Gameboy color, the way that the original Super Mario Bros. was? Such an idea seems to be so logical, as it would be a great way to revive an older game while giving it new features, such as a save feature.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

I am very late in posting this, but I played, and beat, the original Legend of Zelda several months ago. It was an amazing game, and I can fully understand how it spawned a massive and extremely popular franchise that still exists into the present day. Why was the original game not ported to the GameBoy Color, as was the original Super Mario Bros.? It would have been very nice to have been able to play that game with an internal save feature, considering that it is much longer and less linear than other games of its time.