Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 HDD's 2 OS's?

Default 2 HDD's 2 OS's?

Is it possible to have 2 hard drives in your computer, each one containing a different OS? And then at the boot screen, be able to select the hard drive you would like to use and boot from?

If it is possible, how is it done?

Default Re: 2 HDD's 2 OS's?

It really depends on the 2 os's you want to boot, but assuming XP and linux;

It is possible. Normally you just install XP, then install linux and select where (what drive or partition) you want to install it. During the install linux will want to install the grub boot loader (or another boot loader) onto the first drive. This is mandatory so let it do its thing. You can setup the default os to load after a certain timeout period (in case no one is around to choose) and even change the timeout period or have it wait forever for an input.

If it is linux and XP do a google search on "dual boot xp linux". Again IF it is XP and linux, XP _MUST_ be installed first, otherwise XP will wipe out the boot sector and replace it.

Yes, it is XP and Linux (until Vista comes out with a good, stable update). Thank you for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus.
    Yes, it is XP and Linux (until Vista comes out with a good, stable update). Thank you for the help!

No problem, I have done the "dual boot" for about 10 years now. I remember trying it on 2 drives a while back but had issues with it. I know it works now so don't be put off. I currently boot off of one drive (ide) and use my sata raid for data for both OS's (most linux distro's are unable to boot from a raid partition).

EDIT: ...unable to _reliably_ boot...

I've been told.

Anodized

nice. i also need that info. thanks man!
    Proud to be a Pinoy Modder

Is there any way to transfer files and downloads and stuff from one OS to the other? Because I will have to use wireless internet and my wireless won't work on Ubuntu and I want to get my downloads off XP and onto Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus.
    Is there any way to transfer files and downloads and stuff from one OS to the other? Because I will have to use wireless internet and my wireless won't work on Ubuntu and I want to get my downloads off XP and onto Ubuntu.

Yes. When you do the disk partitioning setup one partition as fat32 and you can read/write to it from either os. (have not tested whether linux can read/write ntfs, but I assume it can).

BTW ubuntu _should_ work with your wireless card unless it is some esoteric brand.

BTW ubuntu _should_ work with your wireless card unless it is some esoteric brand.

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS?! If I could get it to work I would be sooo happy... Well, it's a Linksys USB wireless adapter. The last few times I've tried getting wireless it didn't work, but all I did was plug in the adapter and tried to go on. I take it there is configuring I need to do?

Yes there will be some configuration and you _may_ have to have a driver from the company's site. Since it is a usb device, you have to make sure your usb is working properly before even trying to install the wireless adapter.

Check out the linksys website under the download/support section to find out if your model has linux drivers or not.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

EDIT: I really should know this stuff right off the top of my head since I will be taking the linux certification tests in the next couple of months and this question IS on the test.

It seems that the driver I need is in a .zip format, and the data sheet says it's compatible with Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 and XP. I'll look on the Ubuntu Forums to see if anyone else has this working on thier computer.