Thread: Why Does .mp3 Need to Be Licensed?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Why Does .mp3 Need to Be Licensed?

I have used two separate media organizer programs, Creative Media Source and Media Monkey, and neither of them could encode tracks from audio CD's in .mp3 format without an expensive upgrade, which very much bothers me, since I have always presumed that it was a free format due to being the most ubiquitous audio format in the world. I shall likely pay for the upgrade so that I can encode .mp3 files, but it still is annoying, and I feel that it should not be necessary.

What does everyone else say about this? Why does a fee need to be paid to encode .mp3 files?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Re: Why Does .mp3 Need to Be Licensed?

I actually found a .dll file that enables Media Monkey to encode .mp3 files without needing to pay for an expensive upgrade, there by saving myself $25.00, so it seems that I am not the only person who is annoyed by such practices.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin