Thread: Computer Slowed After Video Card Update

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Computer Slowed After Video Card Update

I just updated my video card driver to Radeon 18.1, but the process slowed and the froze, so I restarted my computer out of frustration, but, when Windows loaded again, entire programs would not open and the computer was functioning very slowly overall. I restarted my computer several times, but the issue persisted.

Eventually, I began to use another computer to post about the issue, here, but then my own computer suddenly began to function at optimum capability, without any warning at all. I decided to attempt to restore it to the point before I updated my video card driver, but there was an error in doing so. I am now afraid to restart my computer, again, for fear that I will encounter this issue, again, and will need to wait for a long time each time that I start it for it to function and full capacity.

What does everyone else say about this? Does this issue sound familiar, at all? Thank you very much.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Computer Slowed After Video Card Update

Try and use another restore point. I've had the issue where something gets corrupted but doesn't cause any real trouble until an update then it's been a matter of figuring out how far back to go. Unfortunately sometimes it ends up requiring a re-install.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Try and use another restore point. I've had the issue where something gets corrupted but doesn't cause any real trouble until an update then it's been a matter of figuring out how far back to go. Unfortunately sometimes it ends up requiring a re-install.
    A reinstallation of what? I cannot erase my drive and reinstall Windows, and I am having difficulty uninstalling the Radeon drivers, even in safe mode. However, using a restore point may be a good idea, so I shall try that.

Edit: I completely uninstalled the AMD Radeon software from my computer, and it now seems to be working perfectly well, again, although I shall be hesitant to reinstall it in the future, and I still do not understand why the software caused problems with the rest of my computer.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

I've had to re-install windows more than once. As far as why, good question. it can be as simple as a little bit of this code doesn't like that code. Hard to predict, diagnose and fix. I'm not very good with software myself so someone else may have a better answer. Glad you've got things working.

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    I've had to re-install windows more than once. As far as why, good question. it can be as simple as a little bit of this code doesn't like that code. Hard to predict, diagnose and fix. I'm not very good with software myself so someone else may have a better answer. Glad you've got things working.
    If I were to erase my computer's drive, would I be able to re-install Windows and Office, or would they be considered new installations, even if the hardware was exactly the same, and, thus, not be allowed by Microsoft?

I've never had a problem with re-installing windows as long as it's the same computer the code is linked with. I haven't had to do it in quite awhile since I've got the OS on an ssd and everything else defaulted to D drive.