Thread: whats with the 2800 barton mobile?

Default whats with the 2800 barton mobile?

on other fourms, ive noticed that alot of people's signatures say that they have a 2800 mobile barton. Are they posting their laptop in their sig or are they really using a mobile chip for their main computer. If so is it good for overclocking or somthing or is it just better than the normal barton?

ATX Mental Case

From what I've gathered around the forums, the appeal of the Barton mobile is that it has a better overclocking potential than average 2800s. It has a higher heat tolerance engineered in for the mobile platform. I've seen some pretty impressive benchmark numbers associated with them.

ATX Mental Case

The reason people like the mobile chips in their desktops is becuase there cheeper and they requre less voltage. And as we all no, less voltage which equals less heat which equals more OCing. Good times i guess.
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."

They arent cheaper but they do run on less voltage and therefor less cooling is required. This serves two types of people, those who prefer a nice quiet setup (many shuttle users like to use mobile chips for quieter operation) The second group are the overclockers who like to bump the voltage up a notch or two for extra performance. One thing to remember, the mobile bartons run on 266MHz whereas the non mobile barton cores run on 333MHz. Take a 266MHz mobile barton 2500+, run it at 400MHz and you have an instant and stable Atholon XP 3200+ for $100 off retail.

NOTE* If you bust yoru chip running it out of spec don't come complaining to me, overclocking shouldn't be done unless you know what your doing.

ATX Mental Case

I agree competly zed, also way to CYA Less money more preformance... just not for me... too many broken parts hehe
    "It's time to prove to your friends that you're worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying, sometimes it means killing a whole lot of people."