Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Modder's Challenge #2: The Multitool. Win a great Prize!

Default The Modder's Challenge #2: The Multitool. Win a great Prize!

Welcome to the new Modder’s Challenge!

Sponsored by:

After last month’s trial run we decided to get the Modder’s Challenge to become a new regular thing here at TBCS, and we’re also hoping to give away some great prizes to the lucky winners. The competition is open to people all over the world, so don’t be afraid to enter!

This month, the competition is sponsored by Leatherman, the world’s first and finest multi-tool producers.

Last month, we asked you to come up with a new water-cooling system using parts that have been made from scratch. We didn’t think that competition had enough creative licence for you creative folks-so this month, we’re taking a different approach. This month’s competition involves taking away the very thing you all rely on…your tools.

Instead, we’re giving you a Leatherman multi-tool: the Wave! This means that the only tools we’re letting you use are the ones available on the Wave.

This means you’ve got to mod with these tools, and these tools alone;

Pliers, Wire Cutters, A Clip-Point Knife, A Serrated Knife, A Saw, Scissors, A Diamond Coated File, A Metal File, A selection of Screwdrivers, an 8 inch ruler, a can opener, 2 bit drivers with 4 screwdriver options (2 double-sided bits) and Wire Strippers.

Now, at first this seems impossible: but we’re going to give you unlimited materials, and a free paint job. This means that if you want Styrene, Wood, Fans, Aluminium, Steel…It’s all yours, not to mention any adhesives, nuts, or bolts that you think you’ll need to create a case to make us proud of ya’. At the end of it all, you can have a paintjob as simple or as complicated as you like to finish it all off!

No Modder worth their salt could dare turn down this challenge!

To ensure that everyone’s finished items conform to the same standards, we want you to use a case that most modder’s are familiar with; in this case, the Antec Super Lanboy. There’s a Sketch-up Model of the Super Lan-Boy here, (right click and save) if it helps you to visualise what you’re making, although the model doesn’t have a side panel.

Here’s some pics of the Antec Super Lan-Boy to help you get a feel for the case.

All entrants must send in some form of visual aid, and an explanation of how they used the tools at hand to make a great mod. Visual aid can be in the form of a 3D Model (Preferably Google Sketch-up, if not, please send renders), Scanned in Sketches, even MS Paint doodles will do us fine. Your entry will be judged on 2 things: the quality of the mod, and how well you used the tools at hand. If I could give you any single piece of advice, it would be this: Study the tool, and realise what’s possible. If you do something the long way when there was a shorter way, you’ll lose marks. If you use a tool in a silly manner, you’ll lose marks. So follow this link, and keep in mind what’s possible and what isn’t.

Submit your entry to both me and Rankenphile, by e-mailing it to warndave@googlemail.com and rankenphile@gmail.com .

The best entry will win a Wave multi-tool, courtesy of our good friends at Leatherman!

The Closing Date for the competition is the 20th of September. So get Modding!

-Dave
    Last edited by Rankenphile; 08-09-2006 at 04:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Default Re: The Modder's Challenge 2: The Multitool. Win a great Prize!

I actually have a Leatherman Wave.. it's a GREAT tool!

Rankenphile

Yes, it really is. We're very happy to have LeatherMan's support for this contest, and we have some great, exciting prizes lined up for future contests if we get some interest in these.

Have fun with this one, guys. This promises a lot of creative ingenuity, and I can't wait to see what you can come up with.

Life is like an analogy...

now this looks like something worthy of my vast greatness... my infinite ability to take something and ruin it completely.

i dont know if the leatherman interests me, but ill give it a shot anyways. just one question though. i get the impression that we can do WHATEVER we want to the case. does this mean that we can completely mangle it and make something unrecognizable? if i had it my way... that case would be no more, and i would be slapping bits of it to something that suits my needs a little better.

so is it preferred that we maintain the general shape of the case? or can we mutilate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

ha, I love my leatherman. I carry it with me whereever I go, it always comes in handy for something. I did ruin one of my blades when putting in atile floor though, so all the more reason to put effort into this. How did you guys get Leatherman to sponsor this!

But I'm afriad since I'm terrible with 3d modeling you all will have to deal with my crappy hand made drawings .

The unlimited supplies makes this all the more fun!

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I am trying to think of a way to cut the metal.

blargh

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Rankenphile

The case is there to give a guideline and a starting point for the project, so that everyone knows what they are working with. If you can find a way to "mangle" the case using the Leatherman and keep with the spirit of the contest, then by all means do so. But please don't mangle it just for the sake of mangling it. Hehehe.

This is a really cool challenge..Good luck to everyone, and thanks to all for getting it together. ...You guys are the best!~

Hey..I made something with an Antec Super Lanboy once... :p
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

I am trying to think of a way to cut the metal.

blargh
    There's a saw and a serated knife. There's also a metal file. That's the only hint i'm giving you.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

the head of the "joint" talked

Hey..I made something with an Antec Super Lanboy once...
    could it be that god like build..... hhhhmm .....:p

LOUD AND PROUD !