Thread: Why Do Computer Cases Rarely Have Side Fans, Anymore?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Why Do Computer Cases Rarely Have Side Fans, Anymore?

My current computer case (a Cooler Master HAF XM) has a front fan, a rear fan, two top fans, and a side fan, so it has very impressive airflow, and most cases in recent years have a similar number of fans, but few cases today have side fans; they still have front, rear, and top fans, so why do they not have side fans? Is that so that they can have clear glass panels to display the internal components of the computer, or are side fans simply no longer necessary?

What does everyone else say about this? Why do computer cases rarely have side fans, recently?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Why Do Computer Cases Rarely Have Side Fans, Anymore?

My guess would be that it's for optimal directional airflow. Suck air in at the front, and exhaust it all out the back. Many CPU coolers also have fans mounted on the side now, where they used to pretty much all be on the top back in the day. Plus, video cards are relatively bulky and power hungry compared to 10-15 years ago.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Because they want you to cut your own
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    My guess would be that it's for optimal directional airflow. Suck air in at the front, and exhaust it all out the back. Many CPU coolers also have fans mounted on the side now, where they used to pretty much all be on the top back in the day. Plus, video cards are relatively bulky and power hungry compared to 10-15 years ago.
    Is it not a general rule that electronic devices consume less power as time passes?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin