Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How do you do your etching?

Fresh Paint

Default Re: How do you do your etching?

I realize the last post on this thread was 2 years ago, but it was featured and didn't want to go making a new thread in case you folks get antsy about such things.

I know you can etch metals and glass with various chemicals. Is it possible to do it on acrylic/plexi as well? Or does it not do it very consistently?

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Depending on what exactly you're trying to etch, the best thing I've found for plexi, especially for uniformity, is a spray-on frosting from Plasti-Kote:

I used it for the side panels in Project: Onyx and was very happy with the results.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Fresh Paint

I'm not sure what I want to etch yet, but I remember seeing this stuff (or similar):

Where you could put a stencil on, smear this stuff on, wait a few minutes and then wash it off and you had a nice etching done.

I've never done any etching of this sort. But I have had excellent results at some "fake" etching ... having a sign shop cut up my design in frosted semitransparent vinyl then applying to glass.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I've heard good things about sandblasting to get a nice even etching finish. Of course you're severely limited by how precisely you can mask off the areas you don't want marked but having just bought a hose-fed sandblasting gun, I'm going to have a go, intially on stuff I want completely frosted....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I recently purchased a laser cutter/engraver. If anybody is interested, I could do etching on plexiglass for them. Look for White Light Laser on Facebook or contact at whitelightlaserengraving@gmail.com

The laser opens up some cool combinations of things to do. I can lightly frost an image, or can do a heavier etch through the protective paper and 1/32" into the material. This can then optionally be filled with paint prior to taking off the paper. I have also done etching into the surface of white plexiglass, then laid a piece of frosted clear over that, and the etching shows through and is very subtle.

Currently my size is limited to 8.5x13, but should be building a larger laser soon.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

How much do you charge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

$1.50 a minute for machine time, plus materials and shipping. For people on here, I'd be willing to discount that rate a bit. Average case side window with 75% coverage graphic should be about $30-40 for time. Better than doing it by hand, and the result is dead flat even engraving.

There's some photos of stuff I've done on the Facebook page. If you don't Facebook, I can toss a couple pictures up here as well.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I'll be sending a pm your way within a month or so

TLH, can you post some pics? I don't have a FB account, nor am planning to get one. Can you do it on metal and plexi too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    measure for two days.
    cut once.
    In the pipeline: PRO-49776