Thread: Questions on painting.

Default Questions on painting.

Hey all,

I'm looking into giving my case a new paintjob, nothing too flash, just black with a bit of silver trim to go with my new monitor and speaker system. I don't want some ultra-smooth, super-glossy mirror look - I just want it to look as though I purchased a black case from a store, like the kind of texture you get on a black monitor, keyboard, DVD drive ... well, you get the idea.

If possible, I'd like a few pointers such as...

- Is it necessary to sand? Or should I just give it a really good clean with metho or something?
    - Should I spray with primer before painting? If so, what type, and where would I find it?
    - What kind of paints would I need? Automotive paints? No? Where would I be most likely to find the appropriate paint?
    - Is there any specific way to go about applying the paints? I know that it's best to do lots of thin layers rather than one of two thick ones, is there anything else I should know?
    - Do I need to apply a clear coat finish kind of thing after I paint it? What kind should I get for the texture I'm after?
    - Is there anything different I should do for the metal side panels and the plastic front ones in terms of preparation or painting?

Thanks in advance for anyone who decides to help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Water Cooled

Default Re: Questions on painting.

I'm feeling lazy so...
    there are a bunch of really good threads on the board covering in detail your exact question. Spend a little time going back through the archives.
    if i find them I'll link them here.

Found a couple that might help
    http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum...ead.php?t=1358
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=2858

Welcome to the boards

Hi Cevinzol and thanks for replying, but I had a look at those threads and have already done some of my own searching and everything I find seems to deal with having a paintjob like a brand new car ... which isn't what I'm after. Perhaps you (or anyone else) could tell me what I need to do/use differently to obtain the look I want?

Thanks anyway, man.

So this texture you want, do you want it to feel like plastic? If that's what you want, then there is some kind of paint, like matte I think it's called, that should give you that feel. I think.

But first, sand off the old paint on your case.
    Do some thin coats of primer next. Most people say wetsand inbetween, but I just used regular sanding, and it worked fine.
    Next, spray some thin coats of the paint you want to use. Again, wetsand is what people say, but I didn't and it turned out fine. But use like 400-800 grit sandpaper.

I've never used matte paint, so I don't know if you clear coat it, so someone else will have to help you there. And if that isn't the feel you are going for, then with regular spray paint, clear coat that.

Hope that helped!

D'Oh

i'm no expert in painting... but i know there are special clear-coats that are not glossy, but matte... and you won't find those in a car shop

look for paints/clears at some big specialty shop.. i have no idea how those are named where u are, but try construction/home oriented shops...

ah, use self-etching primer on metal for better stick.. and normal primer on plastic.. the finer the grit on the sandpaper, the less need for water and have patience it pays off

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

You should follow all of the necessary steps in those guides just like you wanted that gloss black, but instead of the final steps, just clear coat with a matte clear and be done with it. The wetsanding and re-clearcoating are what give you that gloss.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Water Cooled

like the kind of texture you get on a black monitor, keyboard, DVD drive ... well, you get the idea
    Some people call it "the orange peel" effect. Its a byproduct of spraypainting.
    That's why they sand between coats.
    If you skip the sanding part you might get a texture similar to what you want.
    By some cheap spray paint and practice on some scrap material.

Hey thanks guys for all the help, I really appreciate it! I shall give it a go and see what I come up with...:p