Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dual Core Vs. Conroe

MitaPi

Default Re: Dual Core Vs. Conroe

ah ic ic... so... with a water cooling kit you could probably get a 3.2 conroe? or maybe even higher?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Read about the Conroe in MaxPC. They burned at DVD with no heatsink and very little temp change. Any chip that allows me to toss out a 16oz heatsink is amazing.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Life is like an analogy...

ah ic ic... so... with a water cooling kit you could probably get a 3.2 conroe? or maybe even higher?
    i would like to think that its possible. it doesnt seem like anyone is really wanting to push these processors all the way with crazy cooling yet... so who knows.

They burned at DVD with no heatsink and very little temp change.
    so if im understanding this right... they ran it with no heatsink? all i have to say to that is oh... my... god. its been quite a while since the last desktop CPU that actually let you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

MitaPi

Wait... you can run a conroe without a heatsink???? lol wasnt the last one to be able to do that a weak celeron or something?? This lil baby is truly AWESOME!

ATX Mental Case

They ran it without the heatsink for like 2 hours, not all day. Even so, imagine how for you could push a cpu that runs that cool with watercooling!

You know, to start out, I wouldn't even get water cooling. I was going to on my new build also, but reading how high this can overclock with stock cooling, I would just get a nice heatsink/fan and see what you can do. Then if you're not happy, watercool. I mean, if you can get 3ghz on stock cooling, get a nice Tt or Zalman cooler, and you should be good to go for a while.
    RIP Bucko

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by MitaPi

There are some people out there running as high as 4.0Ghz E6600's, but as of yet, none of them have maintained a stable system. However, out of the stable systems, both with air and water, range from 3.2-3.8Ghz pretty regularly. The closer you get to 3.6-3.8, the more people you will see using water-cooling systems, while the low end overclockers are getting by just fine with quality air cooling setups.

I will be watercooling my PC. I don't haev any plans for a huge overclock just yet, but I will start with a small one, learn some, and work up from there. Just excited to finish my case and get my E6600 build up and running.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

I have a E6700 and I overclocked it to 3.5GHz with stock cooling no prob...

I know this doesn't apply to you but I've seen some reviews where they got the X6800 to 4.5GHz! They noticed a 40% performance gain! I couldn't even fricken believe that! Of course it was watercooled but, conroes are even better than I thought...

MitaPi

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus.
    You know, to start out, I wouldn't even get water cooling. I was going to on my new build also, but reading how high this can overclock with stock cooling, I would just get a nice heatsink/fan and see what you can do. Then if you're not happy, watercool. I mean, if you can get 3ghz on stock cooling, get a nice Tt or Zalman cooler, and you should be good to go for a while.
    I am getting the thermaltake volcano heat exchanger for my conroe. I am also getting a 90mm tt smart fan at 78cfm. Could I use this as a heatsink/fan untill I get the rest of the money for a reservoir, pump, rad and accessories?

I would rather water cool than air cool even if it is a conroe. If I am going to spend that much $$$ on a conroe and overclock it I want the best cooling I can possibly get. Remember now.. I am a tempature freak. Thats why I have an industrial floor fan blowing into the side of my case at what? I dont even know how much cfm! lol All I know is that without it all my pc components heat up and when I have it everything is cool to the touch. It looks something like this...

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...ans#gridAnchor

I am going to take a guess at 2500 cfm.

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird
    I have a E6700 and I overclocked it to 3.5GHz with stock cooling no prob...

I know this doesn't apply to you but I've seen some reviews where they got the X6800 to 4.5GHz! They noticed a 40% performance gain! I couldn't even fricken believe that! Of course it was watercooled but, conroes are even better than I thought...
    lol hey we both have similar taste! Conroe and Lexa's! ^_^ Except that your conroe is better as well as your ram and mobo and everything else...

Edit:
    AH HA! My Hard Drive is better. ^_^ lol (Seagate/320GB/16MB Cache/7200RPM/Perpindicular Rec.)

I wonder how high you could overclock a X6800 with that nitro technique they used on tomshardware.com?? LOL WOW

Indybird I just took a look at your mobo. I hate you ^_^

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MitaPi
    lol hey we both have similar taste! Conroe and Lexa's! ^_^ Except that your conroe is better as well as your ram and mobo and everything else...

Edit:
    AH HA! My Hard Drive is better. ^_^ lol (Seagate/320GB/16MB Cache/7200RPM/Perpindicular Rec.)

I wonder how high you could overclock a X6800 with that nitro technique they used on tomshardware.com?? LOL WOW

Indybird I just took a look at your mobo. I hate you ^_^
    I forgot you have a Lexa also...

[not bragging]My mobo's a great overclocker and has alot of nice features, but it can only run crossfire in 8x/8x mode. [/not bragging]
    I would O.C mine to 4GHz if I had watercooling, right now at 3.5Ghz i run at 60° C under full load...