Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: D3R!V4T!V3, The Carbon Case

Fresh Paint

Default Project: D3R!V4T!V3, The Carbon Case

So I've been building computers for friends and family for the past few years and now it's finally time to build my own. I just graduated from college and got a job where I deal with carbon fiber quite a bit. I've always wanted to make something with CF, and now here's my chance! This is my first major mod, so any suggestions will be appreciated, and don't be too hard on me!

Here's what I have in mind:

It's not going to be anything extreme, except for the fact that it will be carbon on the outside. I'm going to have to make the radii a bit bigger because the CF I bought won't be able to bend that well.

I plan on making the front face with brushed aluminum, but we'll see about that later. I might have enough carbon to make the face too.

Oh, and the logo will probably be different. My little bro is getting me some vinyl sticker cut and it might look more like this...

We'll see what shows up in the mail this week...

The Donor. I will be using the guts of a lame old case.

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Project: D3R!V4T!V3, The Carbon Case

So, I have a compressor and I spent $15 at Harbor Freight and bought a sweet little detail paint sprayer. I have been digging through the forum and I have seen that everyone seems to get orange peel with spray paint, and this sprayer seems to lay down the paint pretty smooth. Mind you, I really don't have any idea what I'm doing, but it sure is fun!

Not much room to work.

So you all need to know that I can get really lazy and cut corners.... I didn't prep as well as I should have, and I used water based paint. I didn't want all the downstairs neighbors to freak out with the smell of solvents, and it makes it easier to clean the gun and the carpet when you drip black paint on it!

Here's a close look at the paint after about 3 kind of light layers of the base black.

Fresh Paint

I wanted a deep candy blue so I mixed a bit of bright blue with a bit of black and mixed that in clear. Shot 2-3 light layers of that. Then 4-5 heavy layers of clear. Well, I thought they were heavy, but I found out while wet sanding that I had sanded through the clear in one place.

Parts painted and cleared before wet sanding.

During wet sand

Opps...
    As I said earlier, I'm a bit lazy, so I just polished it up anyway, and unless you know what to look for, you don't really see it.

All shiny!

Here it is with my inspiration...

(the blue road bike...incase you didn't catch that)

A close up of the carbon on the bike. This is a twill weave of some sort. The fabric I bought is a plain weave (looks like a checker board). It was on sale because the tow is really wide. The tow on the bike is maybe 1/8" but the stuff I have is 1/2", so it should have a nice 3D effect to it. The fabric alone was a steal at $35 for a linear yard of 50" wide fabric. The twill was around $58+ for the same amount of material. I will end up doing 2 layers of carbon and then backing it up with a few layers of fiberglass to give it some thickness and stiffness. I don't want to get my carbon out of the paper wrapping yet, I don't want to jack up the fabric. Too much messing with it and it won't be square anymore.

So that's the best pic I have for now, but when I'm ready to pull it out, I'm sure I'll have a bunch more.

It might take me a while before I'm ready to layup the carbon, but I'll be slowly working on this project until it's done. So I may not have anything new for a couple of weeks, but in the mean time, how about some pointers for using pnuematic spray guns!

Wow man, nice finish! I think Mashie's done some good stuff with Carbon Fibre. Type his name into google.

Looking good, and i can't wait to see when you finish it.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Carbon Fibre is making its way on to the modding scene. I my self have never messed with it but it looks like a promising material for future mods. Good luck.

BTW Nice glasses for painting.
    Need a sig

Fresh Paint

Yeah, I have to make sure I'm REALLY cool while I'm painting... I was grinding right before I painted, so I kinda forgot about those

Man, that blue looks awesome! Great work so far, keep the updates coming!
    RIP Bucko

Anodized

Where did you get the Carbon Fiber, I am plannilng on using it for my case but can't find anywhere that sells it at low enough prices for my budget, any suggestions on where to get it. I will post a worklog on my case later but for now it's still in the concept phase

Fresh Paint

I got it from a store called Fiberlay. you can get it from thier website www.fiberlay.com, click on specials in the upper right corner. But be aware that the tow is very wide. There are lots of other websites that have decent deals, but just know that you will be spending around $60/yard of 50" wide material. Since this is only for looks, only use 2 layers of CF then back it up with fiberglass to save money. For about the same wieght and width, fiberglass is only about $6/yard. You can use the same epoxy, and it will not affect the look as it will be clear with only a few layers of fiberglass.

I just got my decals and I started work on my mold, I'll try to get some pics up later. Aparently my server has been a bit unrealable lately. Where does everyone else put thier pictures?

ATX Mental Case

It'll be tough to see on dradeus.