Thread: Project: Alb

Default Project: Alb

The Motivation:

The mouse the girlfriend picked out. Why she picked a $4 Microcenter mouse is beyond me. Probably because she didn't wan't me spending any money. Common, the hardware is stuff I had from upgrading...

Testing design on a mouse to see if the girlfriend likes it. This computer is for her.

Sanded:

Starting to paint: Although I didn't need to I sanded and painted the other two black mouse pieces so the texture would match the upcoming design.

Getting ready for the design:

Cut out:

Painted and tape removed:

A few layers of clear and put together for test fit:

Still needs to have a fine sanding done. This mouse was smooth like glass but I started to handle it too soon because I got excited and showed the lady and put smudges and whatnot in the paint. A fine grain sand should really bring it to life.

The victim case: Xion II

Some hardware:

Intel Celeron D 2.8Ghz -only until I get my new cpu. This is coming out of a gaming server that I would like to get put back together soon. Hate taking parts from a complete computer, but ohh well.

2 x 1Gb OZ DDR2 667

Asus P5NSLI

2 x 3dFuzion Nvidia 7600Gs Sli

Arctic Freezer 7 Pro

And a pic of the current psu sleeved up: Something is going to need to be done about all that grey.

Working on this and Project: Nightrain simultaneously. The harder parts of Nightrain are getting to me, so i'm working with this mod to get some more practice. Hope you guys like it.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Alb

Awesome mouse mod.

One thing: Someone told me that OCZ RAM was for Crossfire not SLI. Is this true?

ATX Mental Case

funky mouse!
    <------------------- look left <---------- left u idiot

Thanks! Ya, its kinda funky but I like it, and the girlfriend loves it, so thats good !

About the crossfire/sli memory, from what I've seen its pretty much a gimmick. The memory itself is no different than the same spec'd memory that isn't badged as crossfire or sli. I think its pretty much just advertising. Throw an sli on a set of memory and people who ooogle over some nice Nvidia graphics card in sli setup and then go looking for memory and see "oooohhh sli memory" may have a higher chance of buying it. As far as I can see its just a badging gimmick...anyone can correct me if I am wrong though.

But ya, my OCZ gold DDR2 667 works on any board that supports it, regardless of it being sli or crossfire ready.

Thanks for the support. This afternoon I plan on sanding down the case and taking out the 3.5" bay section in it. She doesn't need it. One optical drive, and one hard drive. I just need to get new rivets so I can take out the drive bays and sand and paint properly so as to prevent drips and uneven coating.

lookin good... I have that case... xD

Ya, it was a decent case. When I got it some things were bent. The holder for the PSU was too far over and wouldn't hold any PSU I tried so I had to modify it with a piece of plastic so the PSU wasn't just suspended by the screws in the back of the case.

The psu that came with it, although high wattage, it had dents in it and was extremely light and felt poorly built. It couldn't handle the old rig (one the girlfriend is getting but instead of celeron it had the e6300 thats in my current rig) without random shut downs and reboots.

Overall it was a decent case if you could get it for a cheap amount of money. I would have liked to see some fans on the back. It only came with a 80mm side intake and the 120mm( I think, maybe its bigger never really looked at it) on the front that was stiffled by all the plastic on the front of the case.

But...that's why theres modding. Fixing things that bug ya!

No Pic Update:

Cut out the X out of the windowed sidepanel.

De-riveted the drive bay carriage. The 5 1/2 part will be used, the 3 1/2 portion isn't needed and will free up some room.

Started sanding down the panels and frame to get ready for painting.

Wish I had the camera around, or I would post pics. Alb (the gecko pictured above) is also molting/shedding. This is the first time Ive really gotten to see him do it. Wish I had a camera around or I would show you guys as well...