Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC.

Default Re: Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC.

Thank you all for your comments and compliments. I would have never gotten this far without the support from all of you.

Now, this is the part of the worklog when I start lecturing all of.

j/k , but seriously, I can never say enough to always plan every aspect of a mod. That is what makes or brakes a build.

I show you why. I knew that everything was going to fit tightly into the case and I am extremely glad I measured twice.

While installing the video card I knew it was going to be close to the power supply, but not this close. The video card has 1 mm. between it and the power supply. Yes 1mm, maybe less. lol but it is not touching it. Heat will not be an issue though because the power supply has a 120mm fan pulling air past the card.

Also the memory has about 4mm between it and the DVD-rom. You can also see the 24pin connector was a close call as well because of the dvd-rom cage.

Atleast it all fits. Now I have to see if I can get the usb working. for some reason it will not install anything properly or recognize it and I dont know if it the motherboard or windows. I may do another clean install and see what I come up with. Any ideas?

Thanks again
    -dan

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Well I have the hardware and software part of this mod done. The only thing left is a lot of wire management. I still have to take everything out of the case again so I can run my speaker wire neatly (dont want bits of metal in the new goods). All I need to do to finish the case is get the red and white lights and I will be done.

Question, I cant figure out how to get the usb working. Ive tried reinstalling windows, bios update, new drivers, and I still get "unrecognized device" on everything I try (mouse, keyboard, camera, flash drive, etc.). My ethernet slows down after a few minutes as well. I guess I will gave to get a usb pci card and try it out or get another MB.

Besides that, it runs games great (oblivion @ 1400 * 900 Med all day long with no lag).

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I wanted to get an XFX 8800GTX but they were hard to find, The 8600GTS is a great card, personally I would have spent the extra and got the GTS but it will chew through BF2 all the same.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    I wanted to get an XFX 8800GTX but they were hard to find, The 8600GTS is a great card, personally I would have spent the extra and got the GTS but it will chew through BF2 all the same.
    Yeah, but does the GTS have the mandatory-for-a-BF2-mod dog tags on the heatsink :p? It's the little things like that that really pull a mod together.

Anyways man, I can't wait to see this done. This is looking soo good. It's making me want to build a LAN machine myself.
    RIP Bucko

I don't know about the dog tags, i generally go for power. I think the whole XFX8600*** series sports them.

Sorry I haven't been posting but I've got pretty sick over last few days. I may get some work done tomorrow if I feel a bit better.

-danthegeek

Ok, I got bored and decided to make a small slide show of the mod so far. I like it but it is only a minute long and I plan on doing a hole slide show with progress and finished video. This is kind of like a teaser.

enjoy.

EDIT- I changed it a bit

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

does the key do anything or is it purely appearance?
    also what does the text say on those bricks o.o

Quote Originally Posted by D1337 View Post
    does the key do anything or is it purely appearance?
    also what does the text say on those bricks o.o
    The key arms the power switch so you can turn the system on. What do you mean by "bricks." Do you mean the label, if so then:

WARNING
    -Welcome to the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC Command
    Unit

-When Using this device use extreme caution not
    to exceed thrill levels your body can endure.

Ok, I got a bit of work done.

I finished wiring the speakers and they work great. I ran the wire to the back and into the lid from the bottom so they are hidden when you shut it. They are nice and loud to. I will try to get a video of it once I remake that bracket that holds the speakers.

I also put in a speaker input in an expansion slot so you can plug in you ipod, cd player, pc, whatever into the speakers.

I added the mesh to the rear panel. I dont see how it will do any good sense the door has to be open to run the pc. I may make a small opening for the wires later.

I made a template and added a U.S. emblem in the rear door. I added a little over-spray to make it look more realistic.

I was wondering what your opinions on adding some handles onto the front was? I like the looks of them and that is all they would be there for. Do you think Im trying to add to much? Anyways, Id love to get some opinions to help my decision sense I cant decide.

Thanks for looking

-danthegeek

I think the handles would fit perfectly, it gives it the whole getting lugged around and bashed feel. Suites perfectly.