Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add an Icon to Shutdown PC

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Add an Icon to Shutdown PC

I always shut my computers down when I'm not using them. It's not so much to save energy, but to save money. I think the current way of opening your Start menu to click the arrow and then "shutdown" is too long of a procedure just to shut the computer off. Many people, I'm sure just press the power button or leave it on all day.

Here's an easy way to add a shutdown icon to your desktop in XP. Vista and Win 7.

Right click the destop and select New

Click "Shortcut"

In the box type exactly with the spaces shown below:

shutdown -s -t 00

Hit Enter

Next, name your shortcut. It will already say 'shutdown', but you can put whatever you choose.

Then hit enter.

It's time to customize your icon. Right-click the icon and choose "Properties", then select "Change Icon"

On the next screen, just pick the one you want to use and select OK

I chose to have the Alien head for my Alienware laptop

From now on you can just double click to shutdown your PC. No more having to go through the start menu. Even my 2 year old has mastered it.

TGS
    Last edited by TheGreatSatan; 01-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Overclocked

Default Re: Add an Icon to Shutdown PC

you could just use the button on your keyboard or press Start, U, then U again, i think. im running vista, so theres no shutdown button anymore.

Overclocked

Alt-F4 does it. Or, my Power button does it all

Dude...totally!

thats a nifty little bit of info

why would you wanna shutdown your system?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I turn my computer on to use it, then turn it off. Anything else is a waste of electricity.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Dude...totally!

and we all know wasting is bad. especially when you live cali and rolling blackouts are a threat during peak hours

Water Cooled

When I worked for Microsoft as a Windows 95 PRG Tech2 we all found it ironic that you had to click "Start" in order to STOP your machine.

Another great shortcut opens explorer in the "C:\" drive rather than "My Computer".

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,C:\
    Its my first icon on my quick launch bar.

"Assistance is futile!" - Helpdesk motto

AFAIK most computers these days perform the equivalent to start > shutdown by just pressing the power button

I suspend my computer from a button on my keyboard, then to turn it back on, the power button or the suspend works again, boots up in 1/10th of the time, and doesnt close any of my apps (I still recommend saving first)...

Which makes me wonder, what _Exactly_ does suspend do, it seems to shut down too fast to copy ram contents to the hard drive, and boots up even faster... So i'm guessing it just pumps power through the ram, but dont know for sure...

If all else fails, hitting the suspend key on keyboards at school is always a fun past time to waste others time

-Fragged

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_RA
    and we all know wasting is bad. especially when you live cali and rolling blackouts are a threat during peak hours

I have to say that during the rolling blackouts my house was never affected. Not once. However at work we were hit 3 times. After the first planned blackout, dozens of companies sued pg&e to get them to pre-announce blackout areas and times, since several companies lost 100's of thousands of dollars due to equipment failures caused by the rolling blackouts. In my lab alone I paid about $120,000 to replace parts that failed after the first loss of power.

What I don't get though is that while intel, amd, mips, and sun, continue to lower the power requirements of thier chips, nvidia and ati's gpus continue to increase in power requirements, to the point of needing a 1kw psu for the next gen graphics cards. I recently read a report that the next gen cards will consume as much as 300 watts _each_! (x2 for sli...) This is up from around 120 watts each currently.