Thread: Narcoleptic Laptop

Dude...totally!

Default Narcoleptic Laptop

My friends laptop is shutting off at random, and there seems to be no cause. it seems like it would be heat related because it does it faster the seond time, and i usally stop there and wait a bit. the bios gives no temp reading. i cant install anything. the verison of windows isnt up to date 100% but its been updated in the 2-4 weeks. it seems as if it only shuts off while signed into users account, it wont shut down in the welcome screen. but when i open an account, it loads everything and cpu usage drops to minimal and a few minutes later it shuts off. another odd thing inoticed is that windows doesnt give the usaual error message as if it were shut down improperly, it just starts and loads everythign like there was no problem at all. If anyone could shine some light on this situation, it would be much appriciated. The laptop is an HP Pavilion zv5000. I know a lot about desktops but for some reason, laptops and i dont get along. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Safe mode works perfectly fine, I'm guessing theres an issue with either spyware, a virus, or just a corrupt file.

EDIT: Perhaps it is heat after all, even safe mode shuts down eventually, it just takes much longer. I'm going to try and get motherboard monitor installed by cooling the bottom of the laptop as best I can with 80mm fans. Oddly enough, the laptop doesnt even appear to be overly warm in the least. its warm, but i certainly wouldn't consider it hot.

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

Default Re: Narcoleptic Laptop

First thing you should try is seeing if it eventually shuts down while just sitting in the bios or something pre-windows. That should determine if it's a windows problem.

If it is doing it there too, do you know how to take apart the laptop? If not, try to find a maintenance guide on the HP/Compaq help area, I was able to find one for a Armada 1700. Follow the instructions to get to the cpu and see if it's touching properly and all that. And replace goop with AS5 while you're at it.

And I'm spent.

OMG i had the same problem with my HP. Its because the battery is dead and beyond. It won't hold charge as well, and shuts off at random, shorter every time. Mine had this problem and the AC port was corroded and messed up, so it wouldnt charge. You might want to send it to the manufacturer.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

Or you could forget my advice and listen to his.

He seems to know what he's talkin' about.