Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: confirmation of my choice of hardware!

Resident Alcoholic

Default confirmation of my choice of hardware!

Hi guys!
    Im helping my friend out with a pc upgrade - he has an agp graphics card right now and hasnt got the money to upgrade the mobo, cpu, AND the graphics, and his cpu is dead, so I looked for a mobo with both pci-e and agp...

Here's the processor I have chosen for him
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=48D1

And here is the motherboard:
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3R2T

Is this a good choice?
    Any alternatives?
    We're right at the very top of our budget with no room to extend the budget which is 210 GBP.
    Pleeeeeeeeeease reply fast if theres something wrong with my choices because he is eager to buy the hardware!
    Thanks for your help!
    H

Case Wizard

Default Re: confirmation of my choice of hardware!

What CPU did you have before it died? How about the motherboard and video card?

210 GBP = $394.59 USD right?

What is the purpose of this PC? Is it for gaming?

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

the chipset on that mobo isnt the greatest.

great choice of processor though. a 4600 will actually outperform a 4800 in a lot of cases, and even an fx-62 in some functions and benchmarks. (at least in AM2 Socket... dont know if 939 would be the same results, but i cant see why not)

Life is like an analogy...

i would suggest looking for another motherboard, and biting the bullet and going with pci-e. maybe not a great graphics card right away, but it seems that the 7600 and x1600 offer good performance for the money. i like the looks of the x1650 that just came out.

overall that uli chipset... well, its no nforce4 ill tell you that. an nforce4 board would be good. ive forgotten a lot about amd now... but i think ati released the crossfire express 3200 chipsets for s939 too. both nvidia and ati chipsets are strong performers. i know the crossfire express is now notorious for awesome overclocks for the hypertransport and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced_Coyote
    What CPU did you have before it died? How about the motherboard and video card?

210 GBP = $394.59 USD right?

What is the purpose of this PC? Is it for gaming?
    Had an athlon xp 2100+ and the graphics card is an AGP 6600GT.

Thanks for your advice!
    So, if he were to wait and get a graphics card also, how do the x1600xt and 7800gt match up to the 6600GT? Because Id hate to have him spend all this money and then have hardly any performance boost hahah.

The pc is for gaming AT A BUDGET. His goal is to after upgrading cpu, mobo, and gfx, have a pc that can run ET:QW on low graphics when it comes out.

Thanks!
    H

the 7800 and x1600 are way ahead of a 6600 in terms of technology and efficiency in some cases. they're ahead in performance as well. if you're looking at the x1600, take a look at the x1650 too. its new, faster, and actually has gddr3 memory instead of the gddr2 on the x1600. its close in price too from what ive seen.

have a look http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131024

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Resident Alcoholic

aah ok cool! Actualy he can afford the x1800xt!
    So I think I'll go with that!
    Any suggestions for a 100 dollar mobo?
    Thanks,
    H

well id like to recommend something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813154009

but for under $100, you're probably stuck to something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131569

i like both of those layouts. the choice is yours.

Resident Alcoholic

awesome! thanks!

btw, I have a p4 630 (3.0ghz, lga775), DDR400 ram, and a PCI-E graphics card. Im trying to find a better motherboard as mine was a cheapo abit gd8 board.
    Are there ANY high-end boards for lga775 and regular DDR? (not ddr2!)
    I cant find any good ones!
    Thanks again!
    H

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

well id like to recommend something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813154009

but for under $100, you're probably stuck to something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131569

i like both of those layouts. the choice is yours.
    i dont agree with either of these choices. The Saphire board for the main reason that is a saphire board and ive never heard of anyone having good luck with them, at least not for more than a year. And the Asus board. mainly for that chipset fan, which after 2 weeks will undoubtedly start to make a tremendous amount of noise,and 2 weeks later die.

so.. the board is ok, not bad for the price, but.. get an aftermarket chipset cooler then. problem solved....

PLease dont buy an ati video card. He'll end up having a hell'of'a time just finding some freaking drivers that work.

nvidia gets nothing buy my full 100 percent support on every level and standpoint.

and about the motherboard. the only time u can find a 775 mobo with ddr ram is on the older boards. only the boards with the older chipsets. so.. you wont find a good board, with an nvidia chipset (or the like) with pci-e and ddr.

what i suggest you do is what my brother did. sold his stuff seperately, like his mobo/cpu, ram, and video card, and upgrade compleetely. then you can toss your intel junk, and get a nice little moderately priced AMD X2 cpu. Like a X2 5000 or something.

oh.. dont sell the vid card though. its still kicks @ss