Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Big Loud Server

Default Project: Big Loud Server

Hey all
    This is my first project log so it might be a bit crap.
    Well my current generic tower case has got to a point where it can't hold anymore hard drives so I've decided to build a file storage server from scratch.
    The basic idea is a duel PSU 14 3.5" drive tower case. It will be based around an aluminum frame with aluminum chequerplate panels on all sides.

Should end up something like this.
    The basic dimensions are 450x230x580 (L x W x H). The area of the side panel marked in blue will be a MeshX type vent. Cooling will be via 4 120mm intake fans in the front, 1 120mm exhaust fan in the top and 2 92mm fans in the rear. As well as exhaust through the PSUs.
    This is the basic frame that will support all the components.

This is basically how the corner joins will work.

This design enables all gluing surfaces to be hidden on the inside of the frame as well as maximizing contact area for the glue to ensure a strong bond.
    Anyhoo on we go...

The Frame
    The frame is based around 20mmx20mmx3mm aluminum L rail. It is then bonded using pop rivets and Araldite. This produces joins stronger then the aluminum between them.

This is basically how the top of the frame turned out first with just the basic frame and then with the Hard drive supports in place.
    The original idea was to countersink all the rivets to allow the panels to sit flush but that idea didn't turn out well so I ended up just grinding them down with a dremel.

(The flash kinda over did its self.)

Hard Drive Supports

The hard drives will be supported on rails made from the same L rail as the rest of the case. The drives will secure via screws from underneath. The idea is to put together all the supports for the hard drives so they can be place into the frame as one unit. The first step is to cut all 28 support rails then drill the holes to secure the drives. The holes are drilled with the aid of a wooden template.

Next the support rails have to be riveted to the upright supports. I did this by cutting correctly spaced grooves into a block of wood the clamping then uprights into the block. This allows me to easily place the support rails to be drilled with a hand drill. I then glued and riveted 3 of the support rails to keep the whole load square before I try and drill the rest of the holes.

One completed set of supports for hard drives. Took about 90 minutes of drilling and riveting.

The next step is to put together the second set of supports. The difficulty with this is that each horizontal rail has to be at the exact height of its pair on the 1st set of supports. So the easiest way to do this is to clamp both sets of supports together and just line them up. Like so.....

Construction Error
    At some point during the construction of the top section of the frame I wasn't paying attention and I made a rather large error.

(looking down at the bottom of the top)
    The original idea was to have a 63mm gap on the right side of the case to hide all the cabling in. But for the above said reasons I have ended up with the 63mm gap on the left.
    So my basic choices are....
    1) Just leave it and hope i can fit all the wiring in to the 35mm gap available?
    2) Reverse the hard drives and mount the motherboard on the opposite side of the case. This would mean the motherboard would have to be mounted upside down with the expansion cards at the top?

That’s all for now.

Comments? Questions? Popcorn?

Default Re: Project: Big Loud Server

Minor Update

All the panels arrived today. It ended up costing $95 for all of them.

Construction Error Fixed
    I cut out most of the L rail with a hacksaw just leaving the two ends glued down. Then I drilled out the rivets and drilled away as much of the remaining aluminum as possible.

Then I cut away as much of it as possible with a Dremel, the Dremel discs i was using were those $20 a set generic crappy ones so it wasn’t really effective at cutting but it did generate enough heat to just melt away the remaining glue. Then i just knocked out the left over aluminium with a hammer.

Finished refitting the cross pieces in the correct position

Frame Base/Panel

Now I have to panels cut and ready to go i could continue with the frame. The panel and L rails for the base were clamped onto and chip board and the joiner pieces are pre drilled on a drill press are put into position. The pre-drilled joiners are used as a template to drill through the L rail and base panel with a cordless hand drill.

Rivets are test fitted into the holes.

The L rails are then glued directly to the base panel and riveted in each corner.

The Frame

The Uprights join the base frame with 2 rivets in each corner plus a 45 degree support. The upright and the 45 degree support are clamped in place with clamps and locking grips then the holes are drilled with a cordless hand drill. Each of the holes is then countersunk with a old school turn the handle type drill. After the first corner is glued and riveted the same process is repeat for the other corners.

After the glue sets the whole frame is turned over and its the same deal with the top of the frame.

(rivets dry fitted)

Hard Drive Supports

I finally finished the hard drive supports. I was having issues getting all of the supports to line up so i ended up clamping each set of supports ontop of each other then drilling right through.

So the supports can be riveted into the base and top of the frame I've attached these small L brackets at the base and top.

Misc

I got these handles yesterday. I know they are ment for bathroom draws but i think they match ok.

I also test fitted the panels just to get an idea of what its going to look like in the end.

Fan controller

It switches all the fans between 12 and 7 volts.

The Frame

I used to dead HDDs to correctly space the two hard drive supports then braced them square with a spare piece of metal and clamps.

Then after extensive use of a hammer I got it into the frame and got the top to fit correctly. Then braced the frame with wood and more clamps so i can finish counter sinking all the holes and to make sure it was all square. Then glued and riveted everything together.

I then drilled holes through the base as well as the top frame. Then riveted through these holes into the L brackets on the top and bottom of the hard drive supports.

And thats the completed frame. Next is panel work but I don't know when i'll start that.

Top Panel
    Finally got a bit more work done. The top panel is attached by 10 screws with nuts plus 4 screws that will attach the handles.

First the frame and top panel are lined up and clamped to a piece of chipboard. The holes are then measured and drilled with a cordless drill.

To cut the fan hole I screwed the panel down to a piece of chipboard then drill the pilot holes using a template from Sketchup. Then cut the hole using a hole saw.

It all fits together which is always good. Also now i have a cool chequerplate drink coaster.

Frame/Motherboard Tray
    I finally gutted my current case for the motherboard tray and I/O plate.

To get a better fit I cut about 120mm off the front of the motherboard tray.

In its original case the way the I/O plate connected to the tray was crap so I joined them with 2 rivets through the base of the I/O plate.

The motherboard tray is then connected to the back of the frame with 3 rivets.

The front of the motherboard tray is then riveted via 2 L brackets to a L rail upright.

Back Panel
    The holes to fix the back panel to the frame were drill in an identical way to the front panel. The 2 PSU's will be supported by the back panel. To cut the holes for these I printed templates from Sketchup and cut a test in a piece of plywood before cutting the chequerplate panel. I got a little frustrated by the dremel being generally crap so i didn't take many pics of this.

Once the PSU holes were cut I reattached the back panel and traced around the I/O plate. I then drilled guide holes in each corner then started cutting this with the dremel but it was going crap so I switched to the jigsaw to finish it.

A few more pics.

To drill the attaching holes for the front panel I clamped the panel down and drilled straight through from the outside.

Because the top and bottom of the frame sits 3mm forward of the uprights I need to put in these little spacer pieces along where the screws go through. They are araldited in place.

The front panel is clamped and hole sawed in the same way the top was.

This is looking pretty neat! Keep up the good work.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Noobish, but Trying.

Coming along nicely, your aluminum work is top-notch. I'll look forward to watching this one to completion.

Just one quick question though, the spacing in the HD rack looks pretty tight, how do you intend to get the screws in to secure the drives?

Keep up the good work.

Fyreknight

ATX Mental Case

Nice work u got there buddy..Totally Custom
    would like to see when the case is completion
    Keep up the good work
    PC:AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ with TT Ruby Orb ,Abit AN52S ,1GB x2 Kingston DDR2 667,
    Gigabyte 8500GT Ultra Edition 256mb DDR3 [Oced 700/800],Maxtor 40GB,Maxtor 120GB,Creative Audigy Value,Creative Inspire 4.1,Modded Casing