Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I. Love. Linux.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Default I. Love. Linux.

I just installed Ubuntu linux on my soon to be CNC machine's computer. (Have I said too much?)

It's fantastically good. It's running a tri-boot with Windows XP and Vista.

With Windows, I had to configure all my drivers, go through a long set up, set up my network, etc.

Ubuntu's set up took less than 10 minutes from me putting in the disk to me writing this. It automatically got together all the drivers and detected network settings all by itself. I'm listening to music, browsing the forums, chatting on Gaim, and browsing Myspaces. For free. And with this distro of linux, you can have 4 workspaces. 4 workspaces! It's an awesome feature!

I recomend every one check out Ubuntu or at least some form of Linux. It's awesome. And, you can run it completely as a live CD if you so wish, so you can try it out before you commit to installing it on an HD.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Default Re: I. Love. Linux.

Awsome. I've been planning to run a distro of linux on my current pc build, just not sure which one. Are there any things you don't like about Ubuntu? I've be using mostly just for writing papers and html, web-browsing, possibly Java. Nothing major.
    “Cynicism is a bunch of people who aren't as talented as other people, knocking them because they make them feel even more untalented.”
    -Ewan McGregor

I downloaded the Ubuntu iso and burnt it. Do I "run it completely as a live CD" from within Windows, or do I restart and boot from the disc (if so, what option do I select?) Thanks. Glad it's working out for you!

You can run it from Windows to test it out, but to install it, put in in your CD tray and just reboot. If you get an option to "Press any key to boot from CD", select that.

I am actually currently having a problem where right after I type in my password, the GUI turns off and I have to run off of the command line. I'll let you guys know if/when I fix it.
    Typo:

Yeah, I love Ubuntu too.

Too bad my new mobo doesn't work with Linux yet. Hopefully that will be fixed soon, since Ubuntu is supposed to be my main OS.

Check out "Ubuntu Hacks". I'm reading it right now, and it has some sweet stuff to customize Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Also, if you haven't already, you should join the Ubuntu Forums. They are a big help if you run into any trouble.
    RIP Bucko

Thanks Mal.

I actually just joined today, I've having a bit of a problem. Maybe you could help? Lol, here's the thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=269137
    Typo:

Great to have another linux fan in the world. I have not run Ubuntu, but heard it is a nice OS to choose. I use Gentoo (not for the faint of heart) linux.

Welcome to the world of Linux!! Unfortunately I keep getting stuck in the Fedora world, but when I have my choice, its Gentoo all the way!! I must say that Ubuntu/Kubuntu is a very nice alternative to the other "binary" installed Linux distros. When I don't have the time to build a Gentoo box, Ubuntu has really come in handy for a nice quick install. I recently came across Kororaa. It apears to be a Gentoo based distro that has a binary style install. I have only played with the Xgl Live CD but, I will be looking into it heavily.

Ty, another killer app you should check out is Codeweavers Crossover Office (Now called Crossover Linux). It streamlines WINE so that you can run lots of Windoze apps as well.

blasphemy

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I use PHLAK 0.3 for my linux crap, it's a LiveCD, but i'm in the OS within a minute or two. On any computer.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"