Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New "BoomBox"

Default My New "BoomBox"

Well guys, this is my first post, figured I would start off with a mod of my own since you guys are such pro's at these things....And I'm a newb starting out. I've got tons of ideas for new mods and such. My first one is probably one that has been done several times over, BUT! Not one I've done myself

Any and all critisim (constructive or otherwise) is welcome as I'm a beginner and if you see something that is a big "no no" please let me know

So here goes, my new "BoomBox"

This is a side by side of the stereo I'm moding and the computer the parts are coming from, yes, I know the thing is old, but hey, better to start out with some stuff you won't mind breaking if it comes down to it

Default Re: My New "BoomBox"

My goal is basically to put the old gateway in the stereo and use it quite literally as a boom box, except I'm going to have it networked to the computer in my room which has all my music on it, that way I can listen to tunes in the living room or while I'm modding and such.

This is a pic of the inside with the motherboard just sitting in there so I can get a good idea of what I'm working with.

The back

The actual stereo still works, just the cd drive portion of it is all messed up so it just collected dust until I got the bright idea to put a computer inside of it.

This is a pic of the first piece of plex to be used

I'm going to use the buttons for the cd drive to open to...guess what, open the cd drive, hehe, and the button beside it used to control which cd was being played, it will be converted to the power button for the cpu. I'm thinking of putting the 3 leds to use as well, hdd activity, power for the cpu, and not sure about the other one just yet.

Power button board and LED's

This is where ther power button panel was removed from

And just for the heck of it, I decided to take off all of the sides and everything so I could get a better feel for what I needed to clean up from the stuff that wasn't working on the stero (cd drive portion)

This is what teh wireing looks like, yea, a big mess, a hot glue gun and some hiding of the wires helped a little bit
    "The sooner you get started, the sooner you get done so you can start over again"

This gives you a better idea of what I'm planning with the over all look of the inside. I plan on keeping the original outer casing to the stereo, but the back and the bottom are gonna be acrylic. The middle level will hold the cd drive on top and have the hard drive mounted to the bottom of it.

This gives a look at what it will eventually look like

Another view of the rear with the mbd and upper acrylic layer placed in to get an idea of what it will look like with the cd drive

trying to line the cd drive door up so that I can use the old drive panel for the cd drive

"The sooner you get started, the sooner you get done so you can start over again"

Great concept. thats a wicked idea. "RECYLCLE, REDUCE, REUSE, if none of the above apply. Mod the **** out of it"
    Alberta Stoner.
    P4 3.0ghz 630 lga775
    Liquid cooled
    1gb ddr2 pc4200
    Ultra Xfinitiy 600w psu
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    Evga Geforce 7300 GS

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

great idea only one concerne, wach out for the amp in the "boombox" you want to stay away from it

LOUD AND PROUD !

This looks pretty cool. You seem to know what you're doing, so i won't tell you to be careful. It's looking good so far, good luck

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by GT40_GearHead
    great idea only one concerne, wach out for the amp in the "boombox" you want to stay away from it
    thats the small box with the yellow wires going to the circuit board that has the ac power plugged into it? I know not to cross any wires or anything on it, I'm mounting it behind the casset deck, hopefully that won't affect anything.

Dave-
    I know enough to be dangerous, lol, the only thing I'm not completely sure about will be when I want to start wireing some LED's inside of it.

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aericdavens
    thats the small box with the yellow wires going to the circuit board that has the ac power plugged into it?
    noup, that is the transformer, and you also want to stay awai from it with any PC stuff, the amplifier in this case would be a circuit on that big PCB and should have a heatsink on it, but now that you pointed to the transformer, it is your first concerne, the speakers can't have that much power so the amplifier would not produce so much E.M.P.

LOUD AND PROUD !

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

That's a badass idea. Show up to a LAN party with that thing and a moniter and then people will be like "...wtf?" until you start pwning their asses at CS or something.

I love it!

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"