Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's in a pro's shop?

Default Re: What's in a pro's shop?

[QUOTE=I want to get into the machine shop at my school but I'm to cheep to take all the other classes needed. I think that you can take "personnel interest" classes that will let you skip the prerequisites, but the class/classes don’t count for credit.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't we all Too bad most teachers/classes require you have some clue what they're talking about before jumping on those tools... Nasty things happen when you're not careful

CAUTION: GRAPHIC PICTURES LINKED BELOW!!!
    http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/cons..._examples.html
    "...angel headed hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of the night..." Allen Ginsberg 1926-1997

Thanx Aristo, those were lovely, it brought back memories from when I narrowly escaped with my life after being electricuted with about 50,000 volts, yes volts, enough to move a locomotive. (Because it was a transformer on a set of rail road tracks that blew about 2 feet away from me and the electricity arced right into me) I was able to walk away with just a few burns. I had 80 doctors in the hospital room scratching their heads wondering how the hell I wasn't turned a puddle of melted flesh and bone.

I'm no expert in electricity, but when I was in a osha class they teach that volts don't make much difference, but Ampres is the one that kills... I'm only speculating but I think you lived because the amps was lower than the ristance your body provided thus allowing you to esape with your life... burns happen due to discharge of volts, how bad depends on the amps.

BUT!!! to say the least you're one tough bastage to have lived through that
    "...angel headed hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of the night..." Allen Ginsberg 1926-1997

Also, do you eat a lot of red meat?? have high iron content?? That might explain it too Good ol conductor you... No pun intended (trains... guh)

volts, amperes, whatever, it was enough to move a freight train. Im just lucky to be alive after that. Recently in the neighborhood a young couple got out of their car on a rainy night and stepped into a puddle, they didn't know that there were power lines in the water. A young newly wed couple both were electricuted. Very very sad.

The SlackMeister

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    volts, amperes, whatever, it was enough to move a freight train. Im just lucky to be alive after that. Recently in the neighborhood a young couple got out of their car on a rainy night and stepped into a puddle, they didn't know that there were power lines in the water. A young newly wed couple both were electricuted. Very very sad.
    when did this happen?? i didnt hear anything about this

Yeah, you were probably hit with 50,000 volts, but you still didn't pose much resistance to the amps so you didn't die.

For instance, in your house you have 110 and 220 volt outlets, but you may only have a 20 amp fuse on the breaker that will run 6 or so outlets (3-4 computers on a lan party ) BUT if you only have a 1.2 amp light fixture on a 20amp circuit, you still have 18.8 amps left to be used.

Now when it comes to the human body, there is about 11.6 (estimate) amps restance you can take before you heart goes into fibrillation, or out of sync with it's natural electical impulse/beat. So in effect, you body didn't consume enough ampreage to kick you into fibrillation, but if you had, you would have popped like a light bulb with too many amps flowing through it.

Now that the science lesson is over, I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say it's a damn good thing you're alive or we wouldn't be having this little discussion

PS. I love my cordless dremmel

Water Cooled

wow this thread about modding tools turned into electricity lessons and whatnot

LOL I know, I tried to stear it back on track with my dremmel comment

The SlackMeister

yeah this should get back on topic, but only after ZeD tells me that story :p