Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Computer of the week...

Default Re: Computer of the week...

Yes the 690's take 2 people to lift out of the box (or at least one Governator). They are built tough too. Big honking metal and little plastic.

RE: Power; Yes Jeremy you are right about the power issue. I forgot to point out the power wires coming off of the riser boards. They need one connection per riser (there are 2 in the picture).

I did a quick search on Google and found a couple of different memory riser cards. Apple (for the MAC Pro), Dell, HP, IBM, all sell riser cards for some of the systems they produce. I would surmise that all of them are different but would need to verify that by testing them.

On a different note, I am getting ready to put together a couple different clusters. One for a web server, one for a visualization cluster (2+ graphics nodes with one master controlling the output of each node). If there is enough interest I will post the step by step procedure with screen shots of the install. (at least for one of them, then annotate the differences in the two) I will be using the Rocks Clusters software.

http://www.rocksclusters.org

This software is based on CentOS which is based on redhat (not sure of the version), but you can actually use ANY distro you want.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

not to keep this thread hijacked longer than possibile but i've also heard the idea of connecting you harddrive to a ram slot, any truth to that? i wouldn't think so beucase it would be to slow to access, but not to sure.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Spawn, I've heard it the other way around. A card that you can fill with ram, and plug into an IDE connector. Actually, isnt that pretty much a solid state drive?

Hmm.. now I want to look into that.. I have about 8gb of old ram here.. maybe I could make use of it!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Wouldn't it be unable to go over the max amount of RAM the board supports? Cool idea, but my cheapo board only takes 2gb.

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukifer122 View Post
    Spawn, I've heard it the other way around. A card that you can fill with ram, and plug into an IDE connector. Actually, isnt that pretty much a solid state drive?

Hmm.. now I want to look into that.. I have about 8gb of old ram here.. maybe I could make use of it!
    Here's a link to your 'RAM ssd thing'. I tried to find it on NewEgg, but it appears they don't carry it anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    my server boad can only handle 4.. Could I ue those for that tyan board I got Terry? (the ram expansions..)

Remember my ram slots are all angled...

-Jai
    Prolly not. Not necessarily because of the angles slots, but because I do not see one that supports that board. They used to make pci ram cards for some systems. butI have not seen them in a while. Besides, unless you run a 64 bit version of windows, nothing over 4gb will be seen or used.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

That's classified.

Airbozo, I read that, on the Mac Pro, they use special RAM that has 'little processors' built in; hence why they have big heatsinks. How does that work?

One more thing: don't the HDDs on the Mac Pro get hot in their enclosed sleds?