Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Computer of the week...

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Computer of the week...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Philips made a graphics card? Wow!

...that thing could well be one of the first ever case mods. Did anyone think about that?

-Dave
    Philips make alot of computer components not just tv's and such most of the memory used on nVidia cardss is made by Philips.

Any way how do you mange those big badass computers? Remotly through the network or do they have a vga out and you have one of those fold away screens in the racks.
    Need a sig

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

That is pure awesomeness. I wonder what the price range on those are? lol I want one JUST to say I can say that I have one. They are... kind of pretty if you ask me!

-SF

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    Philips make alot of computer components not just tv's and such most of the memory used on nVidia cardss is made by Philips.

Any way how do you mange those big badass computers? Remotly through the network or do they have a vga out and you have one of those fold away screens in the racks.
    You can admin them through the network or serial port (all sgi's direct some output to either the console port or serial port #1). Of course since it is a graphics workstation most of the work is done on the graphics head. The monitor connector is a 13w3 (standard for a workstation of that era) _and_ a mini din connector for 3d glasses (some graphics cards have a sync connector too to sync the graphics from several different workstations). An interesting note: All sgi workstations use the console port (serial #1) to output errors to. If the system fails some diagnostic on power up (think post) then the error message is spit out on the console. If there is not enough good memory to boot the system it will give you an error on the console with the offending memory's location.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    That is pure awesomeness. I wonder what the price range on those are? lol I want one JUST to say I can say that I have one. They are... kind of pretty if you ask me!

-SF
    I am pretty sure they can be had on ebay for a couple hundred dollars (originally sold for $10k +) They make good web servers, but the network port is only 10meg.

$10K!!!? OMGOSH! That is absolutely insane. Well if thats case, I'll take three!

What were they originally used for again? lol Please dont tell me they were super calculators or something? :p

-SF

$10K!!!? OMGOSH! That is absolutely insane. Well if thats case, I'll take three!

What were they originally used for again? lol Please dont tell me they were super calculators or something? :p

-SF
    The indigo2's were originally used for graphics design and basically anything graphics related. HEAVY graphics issues. At the time they came out (1992?) there was nothing on the market that could touch them. GE medical still have a few running MRI systems (which we supply parts for). The parts are usually more valuble than the system as a whole...

That is the lower end version of the purple one I showed. The purple indigo2 is called the impact and has a different power supply (more power) and eisa backplane to handle the high end graphics and video editing boards. BTW sgi systems are almost useless without the OS disks (talk to me if you need some...). Some systems will run a linux kernel, but the graphics won't work.

Ok next up is a Super Micro S5035G-TB Workstation. This is not a particularly fancy or that interesting of a system but the reason I am posting it is to show the hot-swappable sata backplane (can be changed for scsi), and the fact that Super Micro put their boxes together neatly instead of just throwing things inside and closing it up. We get these system without proc, video card, or memory. This one is configured with a pentiumD 960 (3.6ghz), 2gb memory and a eVGA e-GeForce 7950 GT KO video card, 500gb sata drive and a dual layer dvd r/w drive. The customer will be running windows 2000 on it and upgrading to XPsp2 next year (yes they are behind the upgrade cycle).

Inside shot:

Sata backplane:

Drive sled:

We like the Supermicro systems since they just don't break. In the 3 years I have been here we have only had one failure in the field (out of a couple of hundred shipped). This workstation is super quiet (unlike their 1u systems which should come with a hearing damage warning label). I can barely hear it running and opened it up to double check that the fans were all turning...

Discuss...

I've had numerous arguments with my coworkers about scsi vs sata and it's nice to finally see it fulfill the same needs as scsi.

Looks like it has good airflow and would work great for a standalone server. How many U is the case? Looks about 3 or 4 from my estimates.

Does the front bottom hold another drive sled or is that space reserved for intake?